Disonnecting & Task Bar

IrishGunner

Using Utv internet BB and can go online no probs

however previously the icon for the dial up was in the task bar and I could click this and disconnect

Yet when I am online and go into Netwrok connections it has 'disconnected ??

I can only disconnect when I shut down

how can I disconnect another way ?

IrishGunner said:
Using Utv internet BB and can go online no probs

however previously the icon for the dial up was in the task bar and I could click this and disconnect
You do know that this simply disconnects the PC from the DSL modem/router and does not shut down the broadband connection to the modem/router or anything like that? The only way to totally disconnect from your broadband connection is to use your modem/router's control panel (usually browser based) to disconnect or simply power off the device. I generally power mine off when I'm not using it. Why were you trying to disconnect from your router in this way (i.e. via the taskbar network icon) out of interest?

Yet when I am online and go into Netwrok connections it has 'disconnected ??

I can only disconnect when I shut down

how can I disconnect another way ?
If you view the properties of the network connection (Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections -> <network connection to your broadband router> -> Properties) then you should probably check the two checkboxes Show icon in notification area when connected and Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity (if applicable - might only apply to wireless connections). If the network connection is marked as disconnected then it would suggest that you are connecting to your router through some other network connection.

Post back with more details including any on screen messages, errors etc. if possible.

If this works for you IrishGunner, I hope ClubMan won't think I'm getting above myself since I'm usually asking the Qs! :D Learned about this (in reverse) because my Utv BB connection kept breaking down when I started using their router/modem.

If you go to Blaster http://192.168.1.1/doc/index.htm (User Name = Admin) you can click on Disconnect when Login Status screen comes up. That should do it I think.

I have it set up so that it never disconnects AFAIK. To check which way yours is, on left hand side scroll down to Admin Mode and click on that. Then click on WAN (also LHS). Half way down on that page there's a box which says
Enable auto reconnect to ISP when lauching web browser?
which can be enabled or disabled. If it's enabled the router won't disconnect and that's how I have it set now. I suppose you would want to leave that disabled. Hope this works for you. A tech guy in Utv told me how to do that. Don't forget to switch back to Normal Mode.

BTW, would it be a better idea to disconnect the router just by pulling out the plug? When I power down the PC the USB light on the router goes off, so I thought that disconnected it. Reading ClubMan's reply it seems it doesn't do that.

sherib said:
BTW, would it be a better idea to disconnect the router just by pulling out the plug? When I power down the PC the USB light on the router goes off, so I thought that disconnected it. Reading ClubMan's reply it seems it doesn't do that.
Aha - good point! One thing to note about my analysis above is that I was not considering the implications of having the DSL router/modem connected via USB to the PC in question since I connect mine via ethernet and my comments were based on this sort of setup. I am not familiar with the USB connection setup so maybe that is relevant?

I have the broadband connection and I click on the zyxial icon to connect onto the net

This then use to minimise to the task bar as a small icon

Then when I wanted to disconnect myself from the net and go off-line I would
right click the icon and disconnect

Will try the suggestions and see what happens

Hopefully when my utv wireless router arrives( broken one received but not a replacement
waiting 2 weeks) I can sort something else out

ClubMan said:
The only way to totally disconnect from your broadband connection is to use your modem/router's control panel (usually browser based) to disconnect or simply power off the device. I generally power mine off when I'm not using it.
Why? (I am technically incompetent at a level that would astound most posters in this area.) I have a wireless router (as I think it's called) - I leave it on all the time....is this unwise?

Two reasons:
  • Just in case I have left any security holes in my WiFi or ADSL router configurations (I don't think that I have) I'd prefer not to give crackers or others the opportunity to exploit them.
  • Like many others I picked up the habit of switching off and disconnecting appliances that are not in use from my parents... :)

Thanks, ClubMan.

I was trying to figure out why I don't disconnect - I reckon it's because I'm so in thrall to the technology that has me connected to this extraordinary electronic world that I'm somehow afraid that if I switch it off it won't work as well (or even at all) the next time I switch it on......

Originally quoted by oysterman
...I'm somehow afraid that if I switch it off it won't work as well (or even at all) the next time I switch it on......

Glad I'm not the only one! The only 'thing' I always unplug is the TV. ClubMan, not being gratuitous or anything but thanks once more for the information you gave. I wouldn't know about security holes and often wondered if a little beastie cracker could sneak in via the BB connection even when PC is powered off. From what you say, it is a possibility. Is that correct?

May I ask one further question please? Since the USB light on the Blaster router goes out when I power down (switch off) the PC, does that mean my BB connection is switched off? I'd prefer not to unplug from electricity if it's not necessary - which would you advise?

sherib said:
I wouldn't know about security holes and often wondered if a little beastie cracker could sneak in via the BB connection even when PC is powered off. From what you say, it is a possibility. Is that correct?

If by sneak in you mean get into your PC then no I don't think so. I think what Clubman may be trying to achieve is preventing anyone from connecting into to his router and a) mucking around with his router configuration and/or b) "borrowing" his BB connection (& maybe using it for nefarious purposes)

sherib said:
ClubMan, not being gratuitous or anything but thanks once more for the information you gave.
Thanks!
dam099 said:
If by sneak in you mean get into your PC then no I don't think so. I think what Clubman may be trying to achieve is preventing anyone from connecting into to his router and a) mucking around with his router configuration and/or b) "borrowing" his BB connection (& maybe using it for nefarious purposes)
Exactly.

Back