Disneyworld Orlando

H

hoganedwina

We are planning on taking a trip to Disneyworld next year and would appreciate any tips that you may have for us. We are a family of 5 and hoping to spend two weeks in Orlando. Would anyone have any idea of what a trip like this could cost us? Any suggestions on the cheapest way to do it would be great. Thanks

Just back from my 7th or 8th visit. Without a few more details its difficult to guage what sort of cost you are estimating, and what you consider good value.
My experience has been that going with www.mytravel.com out of Belfast by charter is probably best if travelling with children, direct flight are preferrable to changing planes somewhere. I'm not sure which tour operators operate charter out of dublin, so can't really advsie there.
Most charters offer car hire as part of the holiday, but be aware that taxes / insurance are on top and can easily run to a couple of hundreds of Euro per week.
For 5 I'd consider a villa, as it gives you some flexability and you can make basic meals during your visit (you do get tired of eating out all the time).
I'd look at maybe doing 1 week in Orlando and another week by the coast, be it Clearwater / Naples / Fort Lauderdale, as theme parks are exhausting and get very expensive.
Look at buying tickets for parks online before you go, there are normally savings to be had there, and decide early on which parks you really want to see. I love universal, and would return day after day, so a 7 day ticket suited me, but disney i've done before so a days ticket to Magic Kingdom suited me.
most places around International drive / Kissemmee are handy for seeing the sights, and a car is pretty much a requirment, even if your hotel does a shuttle.
You should be able to get a quote from mytravel.com now, if you want a starting figure.

If you can avoide the American school holidays do because when they are on holidays everywhere is packed. A villa is probably the best for 5 people there are lots of options on line. There is a direct flight from Dublin with Aer Lingus which is handy.Don't take many cloths Beltz outlet mall have fantastic bargins and is worth a full day trip.Wet & Wild is also good for at lease one day Kennedy Space centre is great and dont forget Busch gardens great rides I would say for a first trip Orlando is good for 14days.Make sure to have a breakfast bril value and keeps you going all day.Try Tony Roma's ribs---great and The Olive Garden (italian) There is so much to do you won't have a spare minute .You must have a car to get around but driving is very easy and safe ---Enjoy

Hi I would also back the idea of a condo or villa. We are going in october and got our flights with aerlingus (direct) for 550 each and a condo that sleeps 6 people in vista cay and that cost us 920 euro in total for 15 nights, definitely shop around there is good value to be had. a good site is www.hotelopia.com and check out tripadvisor for their orlando forum and reviews os accommodation. Hiring a car is also advisable.

hello hoganedwina,
well i haven't been for a few years,but i wouldn't take a villa,in my opinion thats just home from home,cleaning and tidying,cooking washing up etc etc,and you just dont have time.
take a 2 bed suit,where your beds will be turned up everyday,cleaned and tidied by somebody else,they also have kitchens if you do decide to cook at home.you'll find there no more expensive than a villa.
i took the liberty of google international drive,which is the main strip in orlando,you can search from there for accomadation,there all very good standard,because of competition,have a look at the photos and judge yourself,most cover breaky as well,thats always handy.
aer lingus is advertising,164 euro each way with 85e fuel surcharge,i think its a case of d.i.y.best of luck with your trip.
also i agree with everybody you need the car.
yob

We are going over in September and got flights through www.americanholidays.com flighing from shannon to philly and on to Orlando for €1500 for 3 + infant. We always stay in the same villa every year. You can book the villa at www.disneylandhomes.com it is owned by an Irish couple who are really helpful, I have no personal connection with this site.
There is so much to do in Orlando you will have a great time. If you want any more info feel free to PM me. We go there a lot and love it.

Thanks very much for your responses, its great to have those tips. We have been to Eurodisney before and found that you learn the hard way sometimes, hence why I am doing my research first here. Judging by your emails it is not going to cost the earth either. Is it difficult to get around in a car there? We had an awful experience in France before and I said that I would rather eat my right arm than go through that again - 5 1/2 hours to do what should have been a 1 hour journey. If you dont hire a car is it very difficult to get around? Could anyone recommend a good time to go. I do have young children but would be willing to let them miss a week of school if needs be. We are not the most patient of people so a quiter, yet not to hot time would be good. Thanks again

IMO you would need a car in Orlando. I recommend Hertz with the "Neverlost" sat nav system and of course the cars are automatic. You can book online, pick it up on arrival at MCO, key in your destination and away you go. I have never found any problem with driving in Florida, but International Drive gets very busy at times. October mid-term, February mid-term or the Easter break are all good times to go and your children won't be missing out on school :). The Christmas break tends to be very busy.

Having a car would be great but it is possible to get around without a car, I did it when I was backpacking in the states and stopped in Orlando. Once you are staying on 192 or International drive there are local buses going up and down to Disney. Although with kids I would definitely advise to think about getting the car, there's a lot of walking involved in just getting to restaurants etc on the same strip you will be staying on!

Back