Dishwasher servicing?

Marbil

We have an Ariston dishwasher which was in the house when we bought it - it seriously needs to be serviced at this stage as it is leaving all the glasses and cups with a scum over them - anyone know of someone who would do it in the Drogheda area?

You may not need to have it serviced. You could try some of the following options if you have not already tried them:

1. Clean the filter.

2. Are you using the special salt for dishwashers, rinse aid and dishwasher powder. Used to be a case when one of these was left out of wash that stains would remain on the cups. If you are not presently using all three you could give that a go.

3. I've recently started to use just Sun 3-in 1 tablets (not powerball) and they are great.

Have never really heard of people getting dishwasher serviced.

yeah am using all of the below - maybe I just need a new dishwasher? I think it could be around 4 years old at this stage. I'll ask in an electrical shop and see what they come up with.

Marbil said:
maybe I just need a new dishwasher?
Yeah maybe just junk it and get a new one. I have a very basic Bosch and it's super, it has a handy 15 or 20 min wash that does the job nicely so it doesn't be on for hours.

4 years is not old enough to dump it.
Have you read the service manual to see what it says ?, I have an ariston and no problems, is it using the salt ?, sounds like a "salty" type of problem, try sticking it on empty, a cycle might help the situation.

"4 years is not old enough to dump it"

Exactly what I thought. My last machine was 12 years old before the motor stopped working.

There are dishwasher cleaning packs you can get. You, generally, open one up, put it inside upside down, run the dishwasher empty on hotest level. I use one every 12 months or so and it keeps ours perfect.

One I have now I got from Tesco's:
"Finish Dishwasher Cleaner - extra strong formula"

In most dishwashers there are 2 impellors which spin and spray water jets through numerous holes.

You would be surprised at the difference, even one of these being blocked makes to the washing efficency (imbalance, direction of water jet etc).

The impellors are attached by threads. Screw off the nuts, remove the impellors and inspect the holes.

Orange pips are a favourite. They get in to the system by the main filter not been seated properly.......even if it was only for one occasion.

It's a bit like shaking money out of a moneybox, but you can manouvre them out.

Hope this helps!

thanks for all replies - have tried that finish cleaning thingy which goes in upside down - but after 2 more washes it reverts back to leaving residue on the dishes. I will take the water spray things off tonight and give them a good cleaning and hopefully that will help. Its not the filter and its not salt. Driving me mad as there a load of glasses on the side of the sink to be washed as I wont do them in the dishwasher and I never put pots in it anyway. If cleaning the water spray things doesnt work, im getting rid.

Just before closing the door, ensure the impellors can spin. Sometimes, a thin stemmed spoon handle or something can drop through the cutlery holder and stop them spinning.

Dishwashers are very basic......they just pump water around.

Back