Dishwasher plumbed from Hot supply

cjh

Hi,

A friend got a new dishwasher installed recently. It has never worked correctly (turn it on and it makes noise but it never fills with water and never does any washing) and she thinks that the problem could be that it's water input is comming from the hot water supply instead of the cold?

Is it possible to run a dishwasher off the hot or does it have to be plumbed off the cold?

Thanks,
cjh.

Always from the mains. She might have a kink in the tube into the machine. or more likely the mains tap feeding into the dishwasher might be knocked off. This is usually a blue/red plastic lever under the sink where the mains supply is split - one for the tap other for the dishwasher...

AFAIAA all dishwashers must be plumbed from the mains (cold) supply and they need a minimum water pressure also.

Firefly, Carpenter - thanks for the responses - have relayed the information!

You should not have your dishwasher connected directly to the rising main.

My Fisher & Porter (It was a job and a half for me to install this baby!!) is fed from the cold water supply which is coming from the water tank in the attic. This supply will be a constant 0.8Bar(ie 0.1Bar for every metre from the dish washer up the the height of the surface water level in the attic water tank.)

I understand that the Co.Co. do not want rising mains feeding directly into appliances in case the water supply is contaminated.

The water pressure in the rising main can fluctuate all the time depending on demand in your area, time of day and whatever the water supplier can be doing to the supply so this couldn't be good for your appliances. The pressure from your water tank cannot be greater than the pressure generated by the head height.

I understand that most new appliances now do not need a hot water supply anymore as they can efficently heat the water themselves so it would be better to feed with cold water. The manual for the dishwasher should be reviewed to make sure that it is ok to connect variable temperature water into the dishwasher.

The Hot Water pressure should be the same as the cold water from your attic as the your emersion/hot water tank will be fed from the cold water tank in the attic so you shouldn't have problems with pressure. Perhaps there is a kink in one of your hoses.

Back