Dishwasher: Drain Pipe Smell

Caro

After running my dishwasher, there is a drainpipe smell coming from behind the machine. I have noticed that if I run the washing machine at the same time as the dishwasher this smell doesn't happen.

Does anyone have ideas on what the problem could be? Wastepipe blocked? Is this something I can investigate myself or should I just call in a maintenance company?

My dishwasher has been in place now for 8 years.

Thanks in advance.

I'd get one of those dishwasher cleaners to clean the build up of grease and grime in your machine first - always start with the cheap options! Should be able to get it in any supermarket or Aldi do one too.

Thanks very much. I've actually tried that a few times. I have also cleaned out filters but I haven't tried anything else so I assume I need to pull out the machine and check pipes but am unsure if I can do this myself or really if I should just look to getting in a professional.
Thanks again.

Is there a U bend or a trap of any form between the drain and the point where the hose from the dishwasher enters the pipe? If not you may be getting gas from the drain. Try stuff a cloth around the dishwasher hose inside the pipe.
Leo

Back