Discount on Car Price

NADEISE

Hi,
I'm looking at a Volvo S40 SE new, and the garage will give me €1200 discount for my old car as a trade-in. My old car is a 95 Honda Civic. Is this a fairly respectable deal, or am I getting the cash price and giving away my own car for free? Now I'm not under any illusions that I'm getting millions for my own car, just wondering should I be able to do better.
Thanks.

The base model in this range is about 26k. I'd be inclined to ask for the best cash price, bearing in mind that car sellers often make more commission on the finance packages than on the cars, and flog the Civic for cash privately. Its more hassle, but in reality you are getting nothing for your trade-in.

Not trying to wind you up, but if you are worried about saving a few bob, you will definately hit the roof when you see how much your volvo depreciates by in a couple of years. I know this as an ex-volvo s60 driver. A great car but resale a killer.

What car doesn't depreciate- Who wants a 4 year old car- would you expect 20k for it?
So overall i think volvos are similar to all used cars at resale- maybe i can be corrected? Even a ten year old Volvo would look respectable!

Depends where you are buying how hard you can bargain- i would suggest you try to deal down the country- if you living in dublin, kildare or meath etc might be close. Some Dublin garages appear to operate on a 'take it or leave it basis'.

PM me if you want details of how it worked for me

Definitely sell the Civic privately if you can - should be plenty of interest even for a 95 Civic. Depending on condition/mileage etc you should get at least twice what the dealer is offering, if not more.

What car doesn't depreciate.......
So overall i think volvos are similar to all used cars at resale- maybe i can be corrected?

The point is that they don't hold their value as well as better models like Audi, BMW etc when it comes to re-selling them. That is a fact not an opinion.

....you should get at least twice what the dealer is offering, if not more.
To be honest, I don't think the dealer is offering anything more than they would for a cash deal so in reality they're almost offering €0.

(I know a couple of people working in dealerships who have told similiar stories where they accept cars which aren't wanted by the dealership as trade ins, at a discount they would offer on a straight deal, and have then bought the car from the dealership for €0-€50 to sell privately)

To be honest, I don't think the dealer is offering anything more than they would for a cash deal so in reality they're almost offering €0.

Yes fair point, you're probably right.

Let's rephrase: OP could easily get €2400+ for their Civic if sold privately.

Well to be honest I was not aware of any Beamer of Audi on market for less than 30k- as with Volvo- so a relatively top brand, Volvo would appear to offer an entry level price affordable to a bigger cross section.

Regarding the cash discount- you should be able to get both the cash discount and a trade in price if you are bargaining- but it won't happen I would imagine if you deal with a Dublin garage- they have too many customers!

I'm after discovering a few rusty holes in civic, so have decided to take garage price -tbh, just want new shiny car (even if it does lose loads the minute I drive it out the road!!), thanks for the heads up though - had reckoned that civic was going for free alright. I neglected to mention that it also needs a new timing belt, and a new water pump, and the tax is up, so I'm not sure I'd actually sell it all that quickly. Garage gave me discount without seeing it so I'm happy enough that it's gone. I've no where to park it once I have shiny car anyway

NADEISE, you did the right thing! People here are huge belivers in selling a car private, they tell you to go to carzone find the cheapest car ie. '95 civic on carzone (at the moment it's a €1,000) and put yours in @ 10% less, so in reality the car would be advertised @ €900.

No offence but you car sounds like it's on it's last legs anyway, so I'd be happy the garage didn't bill you for getting rid of the heap.

I really don't know where in Ireland "People" can get a trade in price and a cash dis-count with a trade in!