discount for cash buyers?

grahamo

Hi,
I don't have too much experience of dealing with car salesmen so I was wondering how much of a discount off the asking price for a car should a cash buyer realistically be looking for?
Thanks! I don't want to be too greedy but I certainly don't want to be ripped off!

Is it a New of Used Car? I know when I went to purchase my new car and was not tradeing in my old car there was €2200 supposedly knocked off the price! My old car (10 yrs old in Jan would'nt be worth that) so anything I get for my old car will be a bonus .

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking of buying new or nearly new. I won't be trading in and as its the end of the year I'll be looking for a discount

Im not too sure what disc, If any, cash would warrant these days. The dealers get a commision for selling a finance arrangement. The finance is as good as cash ( less any physical handling of cash hassle/costs ) to the dealer because the finance provider pays the dealer in full and takes on the debt handling and associated risk.

Maybe smaller dealers who dont deal with a finance co who like to turn cars over quickly will offer a cash disc. I spose these are prob the guys who would only take cash any though.

I placed my order in August for 07 delivery in a main Toyota Dealers as there is a 14 wk delivery wait on the model I want. Its a cash deal and finance did'nt come into it.

The fact that there was no trad-in in, I was able to shop around and know exactly who was giving the best deal. The discount I got is equal to around 8.25% of the list price.

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking of buying new or nearly new. I won't be trading in and as its the end of the year I'll be looking for a discount

Ordered new car in June 06, delivered in August 06 . No trade-in, no finance. Got 8% discount on list price.

But you may not get this for Jan/Feb 07 delivery as loads of people do buy at that time.. The further you are into the year, the better the discount..

I would always look for at least 10% discount when buying second-hand for cash (never bought new so don't know about that). If I didn't get it I would walk away you would be surprised how many dealers will call you back to the desk to "renegotiate". But be prepared to walk away…

BB

I second that. Particularly as you will be buying new or nearly new you are not tied to any particular dealer. You would be amazed at the reaction if you get up and walk out. The simple straight deal on a new or nearly new car will always be attractive to a dealer whether he supplies the finance or not. He does not have to worry about moving on the trade-in and he will not have to worry about supplying a warranty as he would on an older car. Play hard ball with them!

You won't get any special discount on a new car purchase for cash, whether you're talking about bringing in wads of money or just writing a cheque.

The "discount" you get for not having a trade-in is not a discount at all, it's just equivalent to the amount that they "mark up" the value of your trade-in to make it sound like they're giving you more than it's worth.

You won't get any special discount on a new car purchase for cash, whether you're talking about bringing in wads of money or just writing a cheque.

I'm assuming that when the OP said he was a cash buyer that he meant that he wasn't trading in a car. How he actually completes the transaction whether it be cash, cheque, draft etc would be of little relevance.