Disclaiming so to pass inheritance on

Imeldab

Hi all,

My mother and I both live in Spain. My bother passed in March and his Irish residence and estate goes to my mother; however she is not well enough to travel and sort things out. I am beneficiary of a private pension but not sure yet of amount. My mother who is in a second marriage wants me go to Ireland to refurbish and sell the house when probate is passed. If I get a good amount from the pension then I may offer to pay the inheritance tax. However, if once is she is owner of the house and she passes on unexpectedly before it is sold, I assume the house would go to her husband and not me. It would seem to make more sense for her to disclaim and have the estate go to me so I can deal with everything myself. Otherwise I envisage many trips requiring signatures, etc. Her husband isn't bothered either way but it would be silly to have to pay inheritance tax twice. I was just wondering if she should disclaim before applying for probate or if that has to happen during the process and would that mean paying for 2 probate applications once it passes to me. There are no other close family members.
A plan B could be that she just goes ahead with probate and I do the selling, etc. and she makes a will in my favour just in case. Any thoughts?

Back