Disabled passenger scheme if passenger passed away before end of 2 year period

Ballybrone

In May 2023 i received revenue approval and purchased a vehicle on the disabled passenger scheme and had the vehicle adapted to transport my Dad .In June 2024 my dad passed away.I will not be selling the vehicle now and plan to hold onto it past the 2 year period.Will I have to repay some of the relief that I received as I cannot find any answers on the revenue website .Wondering if any members had to deal with the same issue.

Condolences on the death of you Dad. Have you tired asking the Disabled Drivers Association of Ireland. They have a phone no and email. The tax relief is applied on the purchase and is a one off relief, so I doubt there is a clawback. Inevitably all users who avail of the scheme pass away, so having a clawback would not seem to be in keeping with the relief. But I don’t know for certain so do try the DDAI.

However you are probably getting on-going reliefs such as no car tax, no duty on fuel, no tolls and you should stop availing of these and register the car for normal use due to the death of the beneficiary.

Thanks for your reply.Yes I did email DDAI and got the following reply this morning "You won’t have to repay them, but you will need to contact them to take the car off the Scheme" so I will contact the Dept in Monaghan to do that.Thanks.

Back