Directory enquiry costs - About Time Too!

R

rx1950

[broken link removed]

Telecoms body cracks down on directory enquiry costs

New regulations designed to alert phone users to the hidden costs of using the 11811 and 11850 directory enquiry services will put the spotlight on the huge profits earned by Eircom and Conduit from call connect services.

Telecoms regulator ComReg plans in the next fortnight to force the Eircom 11811 and the Conduit 11850 services to reveal for the first time the full cost of the directory enquiry to the user at the time of making the call.

Both companies have faced criticism from consumer and telecom watchdogs who claim that they have deliberately kept customers in the dark about the high cost of call connect services.

ComReg will demand that the directory phone companies provide general tariff information on all advertising.

But Eircom's multimillion euro sponsorship of the TV weather on RTE and TV3, which is the company's main advertising outlet for the 11811 service, will be exempt from the new rules.

Eircom commands over 70 per cent of the phone directory market and generates €34 million in annual sales from operator services. The company earns a high profit margin from the call connect services, according to Peter Frawley, an analyst at Merrion Stockbrokers.

Eircom charges 66 cent for each call enquiry and another 39.39 cent for every minute of the duration of a call connected by the directory enquiry operator.

This means that a local call connected by a directory operator can run out costing many times the standard price.

A spokeswoman for Eircom was unable to provide the charges for accessing its 11811 service via mobile phones.

The firm's rival, Conduit charges 42 cent and another 42 cent per minute for connected enquiry calls for customers accessing the 11850 service from an Eircom phone.

Mobile phone users accessing its 11850 service face a complicated tariff depending on the time of the call, the mobile phone provider being used and whether the mobile is a pre-paid phone.

The cost of accessing the 11850 service from a pre-paid Vodafone mobile can reach €1.02 per minute during peak hours. Conduit said its directory charges are lower than those of Eircom.

Most other enquiry services across Europe already inform consumers about the cost at the time of making the call.

The directory enquiry business is important for Eircom because, unlike its main fixed-line phone business, the company is free to set prices without consulting the regulator.

Eircom charges 66 cent for each call enquiry and another 39.39 cent for every minute of the duration of a call connected by the directory enquiry operator.

I didn't know this until I heard it this morning on the radio!

DI

our company blocked access to that number last year because of that overcharge trick on transferred calls...surprising with all the money they make and all those ads about "your business never stops" I still can't get broadband at home in dublin 5...go eircon go...

Eircon

As far as I was aware, the eircon operator was obliged to tell you that, if they connected you, the call would be "at an extra cost". They used to do it, but I haven't heard them say it in at least a year. It was only when I actually asked the operator what the "extra cost" was that I was stunned with her reply - something like 50c per minute!!! :tallchappy Eh, no thanks.

eircom

going slightly off line (i know, i know,) but with my latest eircom bill there was a flyer enclosed detailing new 'packages' on offer. As someone who had enormous phone bills two/three years ago thanks to two teenagers I had all outgoing calls blocked except for local. for outgoing calls I used vartec ie 13636 in front of number required and just worked away. however when I studied the 'new deals' I found that they might actually work out cheaper. I have now lifted restrictions on my calls ( which was costing about €6 per two months) and together with the trental which comes to €54 and local calls my two monthly bill was approx €84 + another €15/20 to vartec, which together come to approx half what I was previously paying. I have decided to opt for package 2 which gives 500 off peak minutes, 200 seperate off peak minutes for phone a friend number, plus rental and vat all for €68 per two monthly bill. and if by some miracle we stay within the limits ( unlikely, granted) they balance is carried over. Willing to give it a shot anyway.

Euphony

Staying off the topic with Cuchulainn, I read in the paper last week that Euphony [broken link removed] is offering a €10 per month package that covers ALL local and national landline to landline calls (subject to a 60 min maximum per call - not too restrictive).

Has anyone else looke into this or signed up? I am wondering if there are any catches that I am not spotting.

Connected

You are not asked by the operater if you want to connect - it now a voice recognition system, where you say 'yes' or 'no' clearly. It does not state that you will be charged extra.

Back