Directors Loan

charliehorse

Hi All
Hope I am asking this at the right place..
I had to remortgage due to separation in 2004. Its a variable mortgage with PTSB on which I pay 6.85% as its on a commercial building. I live in an apartment upstairs. There is c.€60k left on the mortgage. I took a directors loan from my company of €10k so that has been used up. My business has over €50k sitting on deposit earning close to nothing.
Does anyone know if it would be legal for my company to lend this money to me on a business deal at say 3%?
I tried all the banks for a better deal but they will not touch "mixed use" so I am basically stuck being gouged by PTSB. My business has been going 27 years and is sound.

BIK on the deemed interest, income tax via the CT1 on the loan to a participator and company law 10% of assets rules are all hurdles for you to overcome.

Thanks for your speedy reply Gordon.
More complicated than I thought.
If I were to get a loan from a friend at a lower rate, would that simplify things or would the deemed BIK still be a factor?
Charlie

Thanks for your speedy reply Gordon.
More complicated than I thought.
If I were to get a loan from a friend at a lower rate, would that simplify things or would the deemed BIK still be a factor?
Charlie

Ignoring the inherent danger of loans between family and friends, there would be no BIK. There would be a deemed gift in respect of the free use of the money, but it would be covered by the €3k per annum small gift exemption.

Back