Director of Ltd. Co. and full time PAYE worker

sceach

Hi Guys,
Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the social welfare section.
Quick question:
I started a small Ltd. company last year, both myself and my wife are directors.
We both work fulltime for another company and pay full PAYE and PRSI etc.

Neither of us have taken a wage or any other payment from the ltd. company.

If we were to be made redundant from our current jobs would we be entitled to dole and other social welfare support? This is highly unlikely but just wanted to ask the question.

Thanks.

Hi,
PRSI applies to the year prior to the current year, so if I'm right, you are now looking at claiming based on 2009 PRSI. Were you a PAYE worker in 2009 and made at least 49 (I think) weeks PRSI contributions?

If not, you won't be eligible for any PRSI benefits including Jobseekers Benefit.

However you will be eligible for the standard Jobseekers Assistance.
As this is means-tested, you must apply for the Assistance and then wait for an officer to perform the means test.

So in the meantime, immediately after you apply for Assistance, you take yourself down to the local Community Welfare Officer and apply for Supplementary Welfare Allowance. The CWO's tend to have established times when they accept applications, so find out which one you need to go to, and find out when he is open.

The SWA will be equal to what you will probably get from the Jobseekers Allowance.

If you are renting, you should also apply for the Rent Allowance.

The CWO also help out with things like buying prams, funding baptisms, etc. etc. Which explains why all the people in the council flats across the way from me have more expensive prams for their infants than I do.

Yes you would as you have class A contributions, you make have to argue with the person on the Social Welfare counter, but you can pay both class A and class S contributions and be entitled to Social Welfare should you lose the employment. The Entitlements are because of the class A contributions.

Back