Direct labour vs using a builder - where are the big savings to be made?

ApplePie

Hi all, apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section. I had a look around before posting so mods feel free to move it if necessary.

We are ready to start building our new house. Planning permission is sorted etc.. We also have some prices back from builders and those prices are making us wonder whether we would be better off going down the direct labour route.

I know direct labour results in large savings but we are a bit worried that we don't have the skills involved to carry it out and avoid the pitfalls. We have project managed restoration projects and refurbishments in the past but nothing that started with a green field and our biggest concern would be the earlier stages of the build.

So, we are thinking of asking for quotes from builders to start the build, put in foundation and the walls and that we would take over for roofing, windows, doors, stud walls, stairs, electrics, plumbing etc... and the external landscaping etc...

Are we likely to make significant savings by doing this or are the majority of savings to be made in the earlier stages of the build.

I would appreciate any replies from people who have been through this before (or haven't but know what on earth I'm talking about!)

Thanks
AP

Back