Direct Labour Build - Electrician

Birroc

Hi,

We have done chasing on new build and the electrician is working away now. We're just looking for sockets, lights and phone connections. Is there anything 'extra' I should be asking him to do ? I am not very technical but what other 'electrics' do you find in a modern home ? I am not looking for anything 'lazy' like remote control light switches.

Hi,

We have done chasing on new build and the electrician is working away now. We're just looking for sockets, lights and phone connections. Is there anything 'extra' I should be asking him to do ? I am not very technical but what other 'electrics' do you find in a modern home ? I am not looking for anything 'lazy' like remote control light switches.

If you want to stay from the "intelligent home" type of house which I think is a bit of an overpriced fad you more or less have it.

A few TV points, a door bell, electric shower, cooker supply, outside lights and I would consider an outside W/P socket

Sockets everywhere, especially places like the hall and landing for hoovers and lamps, and on your counter top for plugging in sterilisers, tin openers, carving knives when needed. Pain to plugging in and out things.
You should also add a couple to the island unit if you have one in your kitchen.

We got a sensor light put in our stairs / landing area for saftey and it's actually worked out really good, no fumbling for light switches. I like those timer ones for bathrooms you see when abroad too. None of these are in the i-homes arena requiring cat-5 cable etc just fittings so not expensive really and shouldn't cost any more to install than a regular fitting.

Other than that you could go for 5amp sockets for lamps, tv points in all rooms esp if you are thinking of putting in plasma tv's over fireplaces or on walls - ensure wiring is done before your plastering is finished so you have the wires covered over. They are a messy job to hide afterwards.

Hth

A smart idea is to have your electrician run out some coax cable for your future satellite dish to some high point on the roof...! Saves having to pass it in through a window later... ;)
Also, wire for alarm...!

Better to be looking at it than looking for it...!
:D

Also think of the Christmas tree location, it might be an idea to have a socket under the window int he sitting room or in the hall upstairs/downstairs.

Light and switch in the attic. Make sure switch is just beside the loft entrance.

Kind of obvious but If there's lighting in a large open area - split lighting is always good.

Wiring for lights above mirror or shavers in the bathroooms?

5 amp sockets in corners of living room, lounge & if you know the location of Christmas tree, fit a 5amp for it also (saves fumbling behind the tree for plugs etc.) Bring all your co-ax cables back to a central point in your attic so you can place your distribution amp there. Stick in the wires now for surround sound. Doesn't necessarily have to be expensive cable...multi-core alarm cable will suffice. Again, run alarm cable to possible speaker location in your ensuite and/or bathroom ceiling. One main phone point should be ok...put it in your own bedroom so you're not looking at a mess of cable in your main hall. Most broadband is now wireless anyway & chances are you'll use handsets for making/taking calls, so hard wired points not necessary. Think hard about where you may want 2/3 way switching for your lights.

Thanks for replies.

Is there a difference between a 5amp socket and a normal socket ?

I know we have wiring in our bathrooms for fans and over sink lights.
run alarm wire now so it can go under plasterwork eg if you are having alarm cable going to each window and for pads at doors. Also for sensors in rooms for alarm.
if you have to put in a bord na mona unit etc you will need power for that.
Run cables for power to the garage and gates if you want power there.

Back