Direct debit without current account

M

maurice1

UPC are going to charge me €3.75 / month from August for the privilege of paying them as I don't have a DD with them.
I use an Ulster bank deposit account with an ATM card for my banking so I can't set up a DD from Ulster.
I don't want to open a current account just to pay UPC.
For the last 5 years i just payed them by standing order. I also don't want to set up a DD as UPC goes down and because I control when they are paid they usually give me a month free when it goes down

How do I get by this charge without opening a current account?
Maurice

set up a direct debit to your credit card. If you don't have one, I'm afraid its going to be a case of either opening that current account or foregoing €3.75 for not doing it.

they usually give me a month free when it goes down

Hi Maurice

How often have you got a free month over the past 5 years.

I just use them for TV and Radio. I have never tried to get compensation for their outages. They seem a lot more reliable recently.

Brendan

set up a direct debit to your credit card. If you don't have one, I'm afraid its going to be a case of either opening that current account or foregoing €3.75 for not doing it.
There is no such thing as a direct debit on a credit card. Its called a recurring payment and is not covered by the standard direct debit rules.

Thanks for the replies guys,
@Brendan
About 4 times, You are right they have become more reliable and I haven't had a problem in 2012.

@elcato
I think that free banking with the UB will change especially now as the outage will cost them so much.

I thought maybe there may be a credit union option or a website that may do DDs that I didn't know about

Just googled some more and UPC have a facility for paying in Payzone for people without bank accounts. It is very well hidden on their site

This will do me and I avoid the 3.75 fee

I presume by law, they have to offer 2 forms of payment method like ryanair

Maurice have you considered installing a free to air satellite dish and receiver,I was a UPC customer up until recently, there's a one off cost that will repay itself over a year and a bit and from that point on you are less one bill.

You still get RTEs TV3 BBCs 1-4 ITV1-4 Ch4 SKY news CH5 etc and most of the same channels you got with UPCs basic package.

UPC are going to charge me €3.75 / month from August for the privilege of paying them as I don't have a DD with them.
I use an Ulster bank deposit account with an ATM card for my banking so I can't set up a DD from Ulster.
I don't want to open a current account just to pay UPC.
For the last 5 years i just payed them by standing order. I also don't want to set up a DD as UPC goes down and because I control when they are paid they usually give me a month free when it goes down

How do I get by this charge without opening a current account?
Maurice

Check if your local credit union offers an account with direct debit services. Some of them are going down this road.

Maurice have you considered installing a free to air satellite dish and receiver,I was a UPC customer up until recently, there's a one off cost that will repay itself over a year and a bit and from that point on you are less one bill.

You still get RTEs TV3 BBCs 1-4 ITV1-4 Ch4 SKY news CH5 etc and most of the same channels you got with UPCs basic package.
I was thinking about dropping UPC and going down this road, particularly after their recent fee increase. Did you get someone to install the dish and receiver? Did you go for multi-room?

I was thinking about dropping UPC and going down this road, particularly after their recent fee increase. Did you get someone to install the dish and receiver? Did you go for multi-room?

I have a receivers in 3 rooms,kitchen,Sitting Room and Bedroom,I got a company to install it,which cost €660,took 2 lads who knew what they were doing 2 hours.

Also needed a Saorview aerial to pick up the Irish Channels.

So far quite happy with it,have been free to air before on another house we lived in because unavailability of UPC or other provider,so am glad to be shot of both UPC and the bill,I personally found them to be quite sleevenish in both the frequency and announcement of bill increases.

They were able to put the Dish at the back of the house which aesthetically looks a lot better than having it at the front or the side.

Used this crowd.

http://www.byebyetvbills.ie/

Last edited:
Thanks - very helpful Knuttel. Did this guys do the interior wiring too? I'd be fussy about a neat job internally. Do you have kids? The kids selection seems limited, so I'd love to know how that went down.

Have to say that I hate, hate, hate websites that start audio automatically when I land - very intrusive!

The lads done a neat enough job,brought the cabling in through the old UPC box,they were Eastern European so unlike our native variety accommodated me in any requests I made without question and were neat and tidy during and after the job.

If you have an existing dish then this will reduce your cost quite a bit.

Kids channels are not as good as the ones UPC have,though I have a 7 year old who has offered no criticism whatsoever and does not seem aware there was a slight "loss of quality" for want of a better phrase.

Really glad to be shot of UPC,sick of them towards the end.

Thanks - very helpful, Knuttell. Are you based in Dublin? I see that crowd seem to have different agents around the country.

@knuttell
I only use UPC for Broadband
I do have a free sat box an Echostar HDS-600RS
This has 2 tuners (so 2 wires from dish), 500gb drive, BBC iplayer through Strongvpn and Slingbox.
ITV player due soon.
Also has series link.
£170 on Amazon
I think it is an ugly box to look at but the features all work since firmware update about 5 weeks ago
I also use blueface.ie[/URL] for my landline for about 3 years and never have a problem except when NTL went down.

Back