Direct debit not cancelled by bank as requested.

Magillagorilla

I went through the procedure of cancelling a direct debit using the online method. Although it was done a week before the payment was due to be paid, the money left my account as if there had been no cancellation. Am I entitled to claim this payment back from the bank? Not sure what I should do. Thank you

Yes you can request a refund. Your have 8 weeks for a no questions asked refund and 13 months for an unauthorized refund. It is also possible to blacklist the debitor, so they cannot use a new Mandate ID.

The
Talk to the person you paid and ask for it back. That would be the simplest.

Brendan
I didn't actually do it it in person. Everything is online now. It was done in Banking 365 and I received a confirmation page with all the relevant details-name of company, UMR, Creditor ID, my name, phone number and email. All very official. This is visible in my "Sent" box in the Services section. It has a reference number. But I received no email or text from the bank. And the payment went out as if I had not cancelled it.

I didn't actually do it it in person. Everything is online now. It was done in Banking 365 and I received a confirmation page with all the relevant details-name of company, UMR, Creditor ID, my name, phone number and email. All very official. This is visible in my "Sent" box in the Services section. It has a reference number. But I received no email or text from the bank. And the payment went out as if I had not cancelled it.
He means the person or company who received the extra payment from you.

Back