Dipping varnish chairs

ljsd

I have some kitchen chairs which I think are Oak or beech. I was hoping to remove the rather chipped and grubby varnish and wax them. However I was wondering would it be possible to have them dipped in an acid bath? Had this done for another piece of pine furniture some time ago and it was really successful. Tried a dip strip place in Dun Laoighre but they said they dont dip hardwoods? Any one else know of a place that might do this. I know I could do it myself with Nitromors but thats a lot of work and nasty fumes that I would rather avoid. Any ideas

The reason they won't dip chairs is because they fall apart after a few months, the reason this happens is because the fluid in the tank swells the wood up then when it dries out the dowels that hold the legs in place are too small for the holes they are in and thus come loose. Cupboards are constructed differently don't generally rely on dowels to hold them together. Doors tend to be okay as well depending on the wood, construction and the finish. The other problem is that hardwoods turn black when put into a caustic bath.

You could try a furniture restorer (there aren't many left now) but I fear you'll pay the same price for restoration as you would for new chairs.
The other choices are buy new chairs or get the gloves on are start stripping.

S.L.F. thanks for the explanation re dipping. I did try a furniture restorer who said he could do them for €150 per chair. The chairs aren't really worth spending that kind of money on them. I am leaning in favour of trying to strip/sand one chair and see how it turns out and if its not great painting them cream to match my cream and oak kitchen. I hate to discard them as they are solid chairs.

I was in the business of furniture restoration for several years, I gave it up because people just don't appreciate their furniture as much as they used to i.e. just won't pay for it to be done any more.
Its possible to go out and buy a badly constructed chair that looks good for a year or so then when it starts to go a bit wobbley, then its time to go out and buy more new chairs.
Since 99.99% of these chairs are machine made, and imported the craft and skills to make them is being lost.
I think €150 to strip your chairs is not too bad a price for the job, speaking from experience I would have charged you more than that but I'm glad you are keeping your chairs. I think its nice when people appreciate their furniture.