Dining room table

pavlov

Can anyone recommend where I can buy a second-hand wooden table, hopefully something with a bit of character, in the Dublin region? I checked a couple of auction houses online but they seem to stock mostly ornate period furniture. I'm looking for a more country farmhouse-style table, preferably with chairs, but I'd rather not buy a new one.

Try smaller auctioneers in towns outside the city. They usually have monthly/bimonthly auctions of house and garden stuff and, in towns surrounded by farming country, this kind of stuff tends to come up regularly. We got something similar a while back. Not much interest in it (they were all after the "period pieces"!) but we were happy.

I have seen nice ones in the Oxfam Home shop in Francis Street, Dublin 8. You can be very lucky with what you find there. With the ssia driven renovations taking place this shop is always worth a look. And in a good cause too.

You may find the type of thing you're looking for at Buckley's Auctioneers in Sandycove - Tel. 012805408.

They usually have loads of dining tables and chairs - some suitable for a kitchen/diner and some for a more formal dining room.

The price of 2nd had furniture appears to be very low at the moment - so you might get a bargain.

Viewing all day every Wednesday, auction Thursday at 2.30pm.

Hi Pavlov,

I'm not sure if you're looking for second-hand based on the budget you have or if you're just trying to avoid the 'new' look. Anyway, we bought a table and chairs from Greenwood Antiques on Clanbrassil St in Dublin. They actually make furniture and ours was very much 'farmhouse' style and had the 'aged' look......The one we got was an 10 seater but they make them to whatever size you want. Very good people to deal with as well (husband and wife team if my memory serves me correctly)...If you visit them, be prepared, the shop is not at all like a normal furniture shop....It's more like a workshop.....Lots of character !

r2d2

Thanks guys for the help. I checked out Greenwood but they didn't have what I was looking for. Oxfam had a couple of veneered tables but I was really looking for solid wood. I popped into one of the antique dealers on Francis st and all they had were the really fancy mahogany tables which cost a bomb. I'll keep on the lookout.
Thanks again,
Pavlov

Back