Dimmable strip lights

OhPinchy

Hi,

An electrical engineer friend of mine recommended that we use some flourescent strip lights to light up the atrium ceiling in our extension. It's hard to explain, but the lights will sit behind a false wall so you'll see the light coming from them lighting up the ceiling, but won't see the actual lights themselves. We'll have separate lights for the dining room table, and will match the bulbs to produce the same light so it should be a nice effect, particularly since they can be controlled separately.

I bought 2 1200mm long flourescent strip lights in B&Q (the width of the wall is 2650mm), but now believe that these cannot be dimmed using a dimmer switch at the wall plate. It's crucial that these can be dimmed, so does anyone know where I can find dimmable strip lights (flourescent, tungsten, or anything else) that can be dimmed.

I'd either ditch the floursecent idea, split them up and put them on different switches, remote or wall mounted or just get different dimmable fittings fittings.
Thought I was on boards there for a minute

Thanks Jim,

Rang B&Q and they explained that they have similar fittings that are 'electronic flourescent' and are dimmable. They're going to exchange for me even though I misplaced the receipt, which is good service I thought.

if they're behind a false wall, how will you get at them to replace tubes/starters etc? Just curious

Back