Digital video stabilizer

TarfHead

Anyone here have one, use one, can recommend one ?

My cunning plan was to get a load of DVDs from a DVD rental company and tape them to VHS for my later enjoyment. I admit I am taking a liberal and atypical view of copyright laws but I can sleep at night.

Have SCART running from DVD to VCR and quality of recorded content is muck - absolutely unwatchable. Worked OK for one of the DVDs, but not for another 4.

Did a bit of Googling and believe I need a digital video stabiliser to overcome this problem. Have yet to find an Irish-based stockist. Found some units on ebay, but they're all US based and, between shipping costs and the whole PAL/NTSC bunfight, would prefer to buy local.

Tried www.komplett.ie & www.Maplins.co.uk - no joy.

Any offers ? In the meantime I am decrypting and shrinking them to DVD but would prefer to use VHS.

What's a digital video stabiliser and what does it do?

Sounds like your problem could be Macrovision which is an anti-piracy feature which garbles the image when you try to record from a DVD.

The problem probably is Macrovision. What is written to tape is blotchy colour and has a dull 'flash' - rendering the content unwatchable.

The stabilizer 'cleans up' the distortion allowing a 'good' copy to be made.

Another euphemism is 'copy enhancer'. I cannot believe you'd be bothered to copy onto VHS, have you seen the quality of VHS on a 32" screen? ugh.