Digital Tuner on an LCD - query?

Pee

I'm looking at buying an LCD and I've noticed on some reviews they mention one model with an Integrated Digital Tuner - do I need this?

The TV is the Toshiba WL68P (without the tuner) and the WLT68P with the tuner.

I'm not going to be using HD for the foreseeable future and my main TV source is Sky with the odd DVD on a bog standard DVD player.

I was going to buy new tv a few months back (old one packed up) and did some checking if I were you I would hold off as digital tv is on the way trials are currently being run on digital in dublin. I contacted the bci (broadcasting commision of ireland) all they could tell me was that the irish standard was not set yet and could not say that any particular digital tuner will work with the irish system this does seem odd to me as the eu wants to regularise standards across europe as the british are already beging the switch from anoloque to digital it seems this may not be the case. Anyway samsung seems to be the best at the moment they replied to my email to say the have positve reports of their digital enabled tvs recieving the irish test transmissions but be carefull not all have the digital tuner built in the ones with eu in their model numbers do not but the ones with bd do the only place i could find samsung with digital tuners was currys. I got my old tv repaired (40 euro) seems only a single chip had blown and am now waiting for the dust to settle before i buy

greennew, are you saying hold off on buying an LCD or hold off on buying an LCD with a Digital Tuner?

As I said in my OP I'm going to be purchasing the problem what to buy....

Space dictates that the max size is 37" and I have nearly settled with the Toshiba 37WL68P and was wondering about the TV in particular and the idea of getting a TV with a Digital Tuner.

Space dictates that the max size is 37" and I have nearly settled with the Toshiba 37WL68P and was wondering about the TV in particular and the idea of getting a TV with a Digital Tuner.
The digital tuners in currently available sets work with the UK Freeview available near the border and with the trial DVB-T system available in Dublin.

BUTAs and when Ireland goes for DVB-T, it will be a more modern standard based on MPEG4 and requiring a viewing card based on a yet-to-be determined security technology. It will be quite some time before TVs with all the necessary hardware integrated go on sale. Even longer if no-one volunteers to buy the expensive licenses to operate the new digital network.

So, in choosing your next TV set, just ignore the digital tuner and make a decision based on other features. Make sure you get HDMI as this might be how you'll connect to the new digital tuners in the future.