Digital Television in new development

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
U

Unregistered

Hi,

Am just moving into apartment in a new development and had sky booked and paid for. However sky came out yesterday and said that we are not connected the dish that is there and they can't install a new dish without written permission from the builders (who have said no obvisous!!) The builders have a deal with some crowd called Sky conway?? So it seems that we don't have any choice but to go with them. The problem is that they are charging for the installation whereas sky weren't. Don't know anything about this crowd and they don't seem to be able to fulfill our request for 2 digi boxes in the apartment. There is no NTL in the area so that is not an option.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I really don't like being backed into a corner like this by the developers but it seems like I have no choice.

We have the same problem. We have a crowd called Broadworks supplying us with cable, they basically get the feed from Sky Digital. All the apartments were pre-wired with their boxes, and there were flyers for installation everywhere when we moved in. €80 to connect all 3 rooms, which isn't bad (even though all they did was flick a switch) and €17 per month, 1 year contract, 19 stations. However...............

1. Despite promises for the last 6 months, they haven't delivered Sky Sports (they are always with meeting Sky to negotiate prices etc.). One guy in the development rings them every Monday, he's very worried that he won't have it for the Lions games this summer.

2. About 2 months ago, we got a letter from the managing agents reminding us that it was against the terms of the leasehold agreement to have satellite dishes attached to apartments (around 4 apartments have dishes). The same day, we get a letter from the cable co. telling us that the monthly fee is to rise to €19.99 due to increased programming costs (no extra channels?)

3. Around 2 weeks ago, we lose Sky One and Sky News. Girlfriend calls the cable co.-they were never actually supposed to be carrying these services, but they should have the licence by Monday-nada for 2 weeks (They replaced Sky One and Sky News with UKTV Gold and UKTV History)

At the first residents meeting, the cable company was discussed. They have exclusive 'rights' to provide cable to all apartments, cos they piped the houses. I think NTL laid cables underground, but wanted some sort of fee from the builders to wire the individual homes (and then presumably a connection fee from each subscriber!), so the builders went with these guys (what do they care, they can still say that every home is piped for cable). I asked the managing agent to find out how long this 'deal' lasts for, and if we could tell them to sling their hook (this was before the loss of Sky One).

A few apartments have Sky dishes (against the terms of the lease agreement, but it doesn't bother me-plenty of worse stuff going on), and NTL would install MMDS (rip off if you ask me), but this requires an aerial on the roof or attached somewhere (also against the terms of the lease agreement).

So I don't know why Sky have to ask the builders, have you not signed the contracts yet? I would say they would do it when the apartment is officially yours, but it will more than likely contravene the terms of your leasehold agreement.

If you have to go with this other cable co., I would be wary. Service is patchy, and you never know what channels you'll have from one month to the next. It is bullsh~t that we don't have a choice, especially given the crappy service we've been getting.

That wouldn't be Aikens village? The builder uses Sky Conway. They didn't cover themselves in glory when deaing with us. If so I might be able to enlighten you somewhat.

HI,

Yes it is Aikens village.And any advise you give would be much appreciated. I just fail to understand how they can get away with doing this!!!

MM, just moved into Aikens Village apartment myself and am having the same issues. I have posted a couple of questions on boards.ie -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=252104

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=249730

That might give you a little background but little insight. I signed the actual deeds today and only got a copy of the leaseholder agreement so i have not yet gone through it. I am assuming it mentions attaching a something to the outside of your apartment but to be honest i'm close to not caring. If i stick a dish nice and neat in the corner of my balcony let them try and come move it :)

Thanks for that. Did you have any success putting the dish on the balcony? We also wanted Sky+ and they said no, I had actually ordered it from Sky and had it paid for. We also wanted 2 digi boxes as well and they said this wouldn't be possible either. Seemingly we were the first people in the whole development to have requested 2 digi boxes?? Somehow I don't think so.

I am getting my phone line installed today and am going to try and get sky hooked up in the next couple of days. I'll let you know how i get on

Don't hold your breath over the phone line, we had ours installed last week and still no service could be a couple of weeks they say, depends where you are in the development cos they need to a lot of work outside apparently!! Engineer came out to install the phone line, did one point and left the wires hanging out of the second one, left us the screws and told us to do it ourselves!!

Not sure if your speaking about sky or the phone line. Anyways, phone is connected and working so sky is next on the cards.

Back