Digital radio

onway

Do digital radios work as per normal radios ???And if I buy one in Northern Ireland - will it still work in Republic??

Not really.
I am not sure if digital radio is UK is free to air or through cable.

If is it free to air, it is not transmitted to RoI.
If it is through the cable, you will have to have a digital cable service to get it.

Currently, BBC Radio 7 is available on NTL digital.

I just checked the BBC website. BBC7 is transmitted free to air, but the coverage is not great yet.
Do you live close enought to the border to currently get reception of other bbc radio channels. It might work then.
Are there any other digital stations you are interested in ?

I don't think digital is available in the ROI, you might pick it up near the border, and at that it's sketchy. In short, a digital radio is (at the moment) a waste of time here. Not sure what plans RTE have to broadcast digital in the near future.

If you're looking for a good quality tuner, would recommend a Tivoli - bought one last year and the sound is superb. It's an analog tuner, but with very high quality components, it's a lot of radio.

They also do digital radios - website is www.tivoliaudio.com

quinno said:
I don't think digital is available in the ROI, you might pick it up near the border, and at that it's sketchy. In short, a digital radio is (at the moment) a waste of time here. Not sure what plans RTE have to broadcast digital in the near future.

If you're looking for a good quality tuner, would recommend a Tivoli - bought one last year and the sound is superb. It's an analog tuner, but with very high quality components, it's a lot of radio.

They also do digital radios - website is www.tivoliaudio.com

According to the [broken link removed]:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]On 1st Jan 2006, our 80th anniversary, we began a DAB service operating on Multiplex 12 C. The new DAB is available in Dublin and the North East.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The service is on a 3 month trial basis, but already reports are very encouraging.[/FONT]

Although they quote Euros, they won't allow you order from the states - you have to go through nominated suppliers. I go mune in Cloney Audio, Dublin. About €250. You can also order them from the UK a bit cheaper.

Onway, do an internet search. I remember seeing them as Kelkoo for around £100 sterling, I'm sure I saw them on amazon as well (make sure yiou get a 220v one, 'cos they're made in the US and come with 100v as standard).

The radio is AM / FM analogue, so you can use standard FM reception, or plug it into your NTL point for UK / European stations. Not 100% about BBC 5 though

"Can you get BBC 5 Live??"

It doesn't matter how good your radio is, you can't get BBC radio stations in Ireland, unless you live close to the border, or you have cable television. They simply don't broadcast it into Ireland.

huskerdu said:
"Can you get BBC 5 Live??"

It doesn't matter how good your radio is, you can't get BBC radio stations in Ireland, unless you live close to the border, or you have cable television. They simply don't broadcast it into Ireland.

5 Live was re-broadcast on NTL cable last time I tried it. I can also receive it from the standard arial, but quality isn't great.

Yeah, the little Tivilo is good at pulling in distant FM UK stations, living in Dublin I can sometimes get BBC FM radio, that's with the standard ariel supplied, about 6' of wire. And you can hook it up to the NTL point for the piped FM services. If you wanted to get all nerdy about it an hook up an external ariel, you'd probably have better luck (and quality) FM reception from distanct stations.

You can get the Tivoli in Peats. Most online suppliers won't ship to Ireland, last time I checked at least.

Back