Digital Radio rant

Staples

I'm getting more and more fed up with the whole Digital Radio thing.

Thinking it was the future, I got myself an nice little radio in the Sony centre. There were signs about the place listing the varius differnt digital radios stations that were available. I was taken, in particular, by the availability of the Mocha station.

On setting up the radio, I was able only to get some RTE-driven stations, most of which didn't interest me. I've had some mild interest, however, in Radio Gold which plays various oldies. It's been handy in that it has shown the name of the artist and song - useful when you hear the odd blast from the past that you might want to add to your collection.

However, even this station has worsened in recent times. There's been a lot of repetition. You're almost guaranteed to hear Meat Loaf's "two out of three ain't bad" every day and there's only so much Neil Diamond any person should be expected to tolerate. They've also discontinued the display of the song title and artist and the choice of music has become even more bogus. Last night they played some Neil Sedaka - (more of a man from the past who should be blasted) and this represents something of a last straw. Now I just feel like I was duped into buying a very expensive transistor.

Is there any hope for Digital radio or should I cut my losses and buy an internet radio.

Rant over - thanks for being there!

Internet radio is certainly the way to go. Don't know what I'd do without Pixy 103 from Cape Cod. Keeps me rocking when out on the patio.

I bought an internet radio and ended up tuning in TodayFM, RTE1, RTE2 etc on the presets !!

But I will admit it is the way to go if you have broadband at home. I messed around for the 1st few days I had it - an amazing choice out there.

Didnt even know there was such thing as digital radio.

Re internet radio, is it basically an expensive solution to the problem of logging on and clicking "listen now" ??? Or does it offer more than that.

Re internet radio, is it basically an expensive solution to the problem of logging on and clicking "listen now" ??? Or does it offer more than that.

I suppose a lot of radio stations would have their own websites that you could listen online to, but with your internet radio it will allow you to search by country or genre, so on mine if you go into BLUES for example, it lists all the stations on the net that are in this category - perhaps hundreds and hundreds. Or you can search for all Irish radio stations. I think many internet radio stations wouldn't necessarily have a website though.

We also have an internet radio. Freecom model. We keep it in the bedroom. Great listening, thousands of stations to choose from. It also takes in RSS feeds, - business news, weather etc etc. Sound quality is perfect 99% of the time. Also if you know your way around a proper operating system i.e. Linux you can ssh/telnet into it and do some customization as it runs BusyBox - Linux kernal.

Also important to reiterate that my internet radio will "see" my MP3 files stored on my laptop and home PC and stream them wirelessly. Thats a handy feature.

They can also download podcasts and archived shows stored on the likes of the BBC.

you can ssh/telnet into it and do some customization as it runs BusyBox - Linux kernal.[/QUOTE]

If there was a prize for the most incomprehensible sentence of 2010 I'd hand it to now & ok thats more to do with me than you.

LOL I feel the same Betsy.

Getting a bit interested in this internet radio thing though.

What sort of costs are involved can anyone tell me?

LOL I feel the same Betsy.

Getting a bit interested in this internet radio thing though.

What sort of costs are involved can anyone tell me?

As much as you are prepared to pay ?

I bought an internet radio through ibood in December 2008 - Blik REVO - for less than €100. I'd regard it as an entry-level unit - single speaker, can drop the wifi link occasionally.

Somewhere like Peats would have a good selection. Roberts would seem to be a one leading brand.

Thanks Tarfhead

How good is the selection then?

I assume e.g. if I wanted a station that played nothing but angular dissonant 70s prog rock I would have a choice of a few probably?

Sorry Staples, OT, but maybe the real future is dawning on you now as it is on me

AFAIK ..

Internet radios are tied to specific content providers, i.e. if the one your radio is linked to doesn't have the station you want, then it's not available to you. It is not as simple as just keying in a URL.

The REVO unit I have is tied to Silicon Frontier. It has about 15000 stations available.

I have been frustrated trying to get live commentary from BBC 5 Live. Like with BBC iPlayer, they're able to restrict the broadcast based on (I guess) the radio's IP address.

It may be worth your time finding stations that you would want to be able to access, using your browser, then trying to find out who the provider is, then finding out what radios are available that are linked to that provider. Somewhere like Peats would probably be able to give you more informed advice, and then you can buy online for cheaper !

Mine used Reciva - and I think the total no of stations when it powered up was 7500 or so.

There's a fair chance that if you want a really obscure type of music then you will find at least one station somewhere playing it.

As for the costs. Well the basic ones, like mine, start at around £40 or so. After that it is free. But remember that it streams data from your broadband connection, so if you have a limited amount of usage each month you would need to make sure that you don't exceed it. Mine was unlimited, so I could leave it running 24/7 if I wanted.

But I remember seeing a calculation done once that calculated how many MB/GB you would use if you ran it for say 3hrs per day. I'll see if I can dig it up.

you can ssh/telnet into it and do some customization as it runs BusyBox - Linux kernal.

If there was a prize for the most incomprehensible sentence of 2010 I'd hand it to now & ok thats more to do with me than you.

Dude that's the exact problem with this forum! Too many bean counters and not enough Greeks err dam I mean geeks - GEEKS