Digital picture frame

Allen

I have seen advertised a picture screen that you can download your digital photos into and you just put it on a shelf and it will play the pictures back. Are they any good and where in Dublin can you buy them?

I saw one in the basement/ electronics area in Arnotts. They have it in a display case.
About €150 if I remember correctly.

Looked pretty cool.

Peats in Parnell Street have a couple of different sizes/designs. As far as I remember they start at about €180.

There's always the [broken link removed], of course...

To be honest, as an avid photographer and someone who appreciates a nice display, I can't really see the value/purpose of these things, except perhaps as a present for someone who's both computerless and unable to handle the idea of popping a disk into their DVD player... (assuming of course that they're not also DVD-and-TV-less?)

IMHO, this falls into the 'because-it's-there' category of electronic gadget — for less money, you could do so many more interesting things with digital photos than load them into an expensive 'hang-on-'til-I-plug-it-in-again' option...

My gadget loving husband bought me one for Christmas last year ... it's still in the box. I thought the idea was neat, but it would be more suited to an office etc. I can't really see the use of it at home. It's a bit like a personal tv ... except much slower.
You can set a timer on it to display pictures at different times ... eg. not at night.
Decide where you would put it before you buy ... and imagine whether it would be a distraction or not,

Thanks for all the comments. €199 in Arnotts now. Perhaps a bit more than I think it is worth. (Got her a brooch instead, probably will be more appreciated – I hope!)

They had put landscape and portrait photos into the demonstration model in Arnotts which did not look so clever.