Digital Camera

redbhoy

Hi,

Im thinking of buying a digital camera. Raasonably priced. Would anyone have any opinions on the make/model I should go for. It'd be for normal photos like parties or around the house and maybe the odd shot of a football game.
Id need one that hooks up to a pc to save them on there.
How many shots do they normally hold?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Would like to give you some advice, but would really need to know what your budget is, this can vary by a few hundred €'s depending on make, features required etc.

All digital camera can be hooked up to a PC for downloading the photos. The numbers of photo's they can hold will depend on the size of the memory card used.

Hi,

Just be aware that the names of the cameras on www.dpreview.com
are different to that used in Europe. For example, a camera that I'm checking out at the moment, a Canon 860 Ixus, is known as a [SIZE=-1]Canon PowerShot SD870 IS in the US.[/SIZE]

For example, a camera that I'm checking out at the moment, a Canon 860 Ixus, is known as a [SIZE=-1]Canon PowerShot SD870 IS in the US.[/SIZE]
Wikipedia lists the various retail names for specific IXUS models. I presume that similar details for other ranges are also available.

Hi,

after much research and advice from AAM, I got a Canon 860 Ixus last week. I'm delighted with it, lovely big screen and nice and compact. Wide angle lens good for group shots too.

Thanks for the replies. I'll check those sites when i get a chance.
Id be willing to pay around the €200 mark. Id be looking for something fairly compact if possible. One that you could take on a night out.
How much did you pay for that Canon 860 Ixus ?

Thanks again

My main bit of advice is not to pay for things you won't need.

They are plenty of decently priced camera's out there now for not a lot of money.

Joe Public is being conned into believing that they need the max number of megapixels. This is only really important if you are a top photographer and intend to print out big photos.

The vast majority of the public just taking photos of family, friends, scenes, holiday snaps, parties etc don't really need anything above 4MP.

I have had a Casio 4MP camera for about 3 or 4 years now and the quality of the prints are excellent. If you only ever intend to print out snaps in the usual 6x4, 7x5, 10x8 sizes then 4MP is fine. Forget about all these 8MP or the 12MP I've seen recently. You don;t need them.

Another thing to remember is that its not the number of MP thats important but the quality of the lens.

My Casio 4MP was much better in terms of picture quality than the girlfriends 5MP Samsung. After seeing the prints off hers I don't think I'll ever buy a Samsung - lens must be lower quality. But they tend to sell cheap so probably attract a lot of buyers.

From reviews I have read I think that the Sonys have decent lens, as do the Canon's. Look out for Carl Zeiss name on the lens - these are top quality and come on some manufacturers cameras.