Digital camera

dangerhere

My daughter would like a digital for her birthday and is talking in terms of 300 Euro. Any recommendations?

Had to buy cameras last week with budget of 200 eu each.
The best value I could find was a Nikon Coolpix L6 ( 6 meg pixel) for 199 at Sam Mc Cauleys - the memory card is about 20 - 50 eu extra depending on size.
PC World also had a 6 megapixels Olympus for 199 eu ( memory card extra as before ) .
At 300 eu you should also be able to look at the Canon range - these are a little more expensive but I think there are 6 Mpixels versions available from 250 eu... I was shopping in Waterford so maybe better options available in dublin or on line .

I got a great 5 megapixel one a few weeks ago from Komplett..

I got a Fuji version for €229...

I've had a quick look and it seems to be gone but this looks good:
[broken link removed]

There are 2 Canon basic Canon cameras on the same site but from what I can see they use standard AA batteries which don't have the life of the Li-Ion rechargeable type.

I'd also have a look at E-Bay for cameras if you have time to wait for delivery...

P.S. I don't know much (at all) about photography but if it is a fairly standard camera I'm sure you'd get something good for €200 or less. There is a good phototography section over on www.boards.ie which might have similar threads.

There are 2 Canon basic Canon cameras on the same site but from what I can see they use standard AA batteries which don't have the life of the Li-Ion rechargeable type.
A good set of high capacity NiMH rechargeable AAs will generally do the business.
I'd also have a look at E-Bay for cameras if you have time to wait for delivery...
Always check out the seller's ratings if buying from eBay.

I'd recommend models in the Canon PowerShot range and buying from the likes of Pixmania. PowerShots are not as compact as some others but they are pretty sturdy, use SD cards rather than the often less common and more expensive XD cards, they generally have a good range of features for snappers and more serious photography, they have good lenses, good battery life and the bundled software isn't bad.

The camera center & pixels.ie are good if you're in Dublin, e.g. you can get a Nikon CoolPix L3 starter pack (batteries, card, case) for €189. Probably a little cheaper if you look on line. TBH, if it's a first camera, I wouldn't spend more than €200.

I bought a Canon PowerShot A430 from Pixmaina before Christmas and can't fault it. is a decent bundle with everything you would need for less than €200 inc. delivery (so long as you deselect the 'Zen Engagement' nonsense).

Back