Digital camcorder- which format is best?

Sunster

Hi
I'm thinking of buying a new digital camcorder. Had a look at Amazon and pixmania and just realised what a minefield of formats there are for these.
Mini dv, dvd, hard drive formats.....very confused.
Please can someone give advice as to which format I should buy. Not planning to make any dramatic movies, just regular day to day filming, like filming my son take his first steps etc.
Much appreciated.
I run a Mac if that makes any added difference.

For picture quality, go with mini-DV. You can bring into your mac and edit in iMovie and burn DVDs of your finished masterpieces.

The dvd and hard drive formats use mpeg compression - harder to edit, not as good picture quality.

The DV cameras are very competitively priced now because everyone, for some reason, is going for the mpeg formats.

I am also thinking of getting a digital camcorder,but was definitely thinking of going down the hard drive route.I priced a JVC for 580 euro and a Sony for 620 in Grafton Street. Have not checked on line prices.Has anybody out there got any of the above models?

Following some advice and research I've ordered mine online with pixmania...good saving. Afetr much thought I din't think I needed such an amzing camcorder as I already have a very good camera, and its really just to capture every day things. I went with a Canion which appeared more than adequate in features and light enough for carrying.

Sunster,

what model and price did you go for in the end - is it DV or DVD based?

also looking to get a new camcorder. Preference is DVD based - don't want to have to transfer from DV onto DVD. Not looking for the highest specs - just something lightweight, dependable and ok picture!

preference for buying in a shop rather than waiting for delivery....

If you're never going to edit your video, yes, that's probably a fair reason to go with a DVD recorder model. But if you do think you'll be editing (even just a little), DV is a better bet.

I went for the Canon MD130 mini dv, got a spare battery, some blank mini Dvsand a 1GB SD card for 400 euro incl postage. Seems reasonable and much cheaper than buying from shop

bearing in mind that the mini dvd only hold about 30 mins of footage, so if ya don't edit you just end up with loads of disks with only a half hour each which is fairly crappy raw camera footage.

bearing in mind that the mini dvd only hold about 30 mins of footage, so if ya don't edit you just end up with loads of disks with only a half hour each which is fairly crappy raw camera footage.

Actually, the OP bought a Mini-DV format, not mini-dvd.

How much footage does mini-dv hold? Is it greater than 30 minutes?

http://www.epinions.com/content_1447534724 said:
Capacity

The MiniDV tapes can hold 30, 60 and 80 minutes in the standard SP mode. In LP mode, they hold 1.5 times more – 45, 90 and 120 minutes (without the loss in picture quality, but sometimes with a loss in features, like audio dubbing).

D8 uses 8mm or Hi8 tapes (Sony recommends Hi8), but, since the tape travels twice as fast, the capacity is twice less than in Video8 mode – you can record 60 minutes on the 120-minute Hi8 tape. In LP mode the capacity increases by 50%, so 120-minute tape can hold 90 minutes of digital video. Sony recommends to play back the LP-recorded D8 tapes on the same camcorder they were recorded. Same with 8mm tapes in SP mode.

Also, keep in mind that you cannot record in LP mode on a 8mm tape – only on Hi8 tape. Even if you select LP mode and 8mm tape is in camcorder, the recording will be in SP mode. To be able to get LP mode recording, you need to buy a Hi8 tap

Back