digital box - can it be used in Dublin?

Gordanus

I know absolutely nothing about technology, but I was visiting a friend in London who had a digital box on top of his tv because where he was (central London!) reception was brutal. For £50 he had all the BBC digital stations (and all the normal ones) plus loads more.

Is it possible to get a digital box here? I haven't seen them advertised. My reception of RTE in central Dublin is so bad I have to route it through the video (3 tv's running off the cable). Or would the box not work here? Would I have to get a digital TV? And would that solve my reception problem?

Any advice out there? Thanks

A digital box is for receiving terrestrial digital tv signals, i guess it is a Freeview box ? No Irish terrestrial TV station currently broadcasts in digital so, i'm afraid a digital box is no good to you.
British Freeview British stations are restricted to the UK anyway.

If you're in an NTL area they offer a digital service but you have to pay for their analog service as well, but then, if you had the analog service the reception should be fine anyway? If your problem is that you're splitting the signal 3 ways you should just go out and buy a booster (maplins jervis street) which will boost the signal enough to give good reception on all 3 outputs.

I have one of the infamous ITV Digital boxes from a couple of years ago in the UK. Once they went bust (and never came looking for it) it was perfect in the UK for BBC Freeview.

I've seen it mentioned that with a decent arial that you can pick up Freeview along the east coast (on a clear day with the wind coming from Wales).

However, I've never had any luck with this - tried all the boosters and everything as well.

I got one last week (a FREEVIEW box) & it works perfectly well in Wexford. The signal indicator shows 60-80% signal.

Note that I have strong signals anyway on the terrestrial arial - Channel 5 is crystal clear on most days.
Box (Phillips) cost GBP£50 in Asda Manchester, there was one also for GBP£32 (Bush) which isn't much of a gamble if you are passing through UK & can pick one up.