Difficulty in Installing Software with Windows XP

windo77

I have tried and failed to install several software packages [Open Office and Eraser () to name but two] on a PC running with Windows XP, SP 2.

At some point in the installation process, I am confronted with the message:
"The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur ... if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed."

However, this does not happen with all software installations. For example, after the Eraser installation failed, I was able to install Simple File Shredder ().

Any ideas why I can install some but not all software?

Thanks

Check windows installer is running. Control panel;Administrative tools;services.Scroll down to windows installer and double click and start the service also make sure startup type is"automatic" Give that a bash.

Yes, that worked. Thanks.

But I am curious to know how Windows Installer can become disabled. I certainly didn't knowingly diable it!

Thanks again for your help.

That one I can't answer.It happened to me after I reinstalled Windows from scratch.It doesn't run continually but it has to be on automatic and can be "called" on by a program when needed.

I recently installed Windows XP from scratch also. I am wondering if it's just coincidence that we both experienced the same problem shortly after the re-install.