Difficulties odering broadband

Anto318

Hi all,

Here my prediciment, I have taken over the lease on a house which had BT broadband registered. When I took over the lease BT wanted €125 deposit for the connection so I decided to canel the service. I want to get Irish Broadband now so I rang up Irish Broadband and gave them all my details but I could be connected as the account that I gave didn't match the phone number. I found out that BT still didn't fully disconnect the line so finally I got the line fully disconnect this morning. BT gave me a reference number to give to eircom to confim that the account was cancelled. I rang eircom and they never heard of this reference number and have been sending me around to different departments all morning but still to no avail.

So the situation is at the minute that the line has been cancelled but both eircom and Irish Broadband still see the line on there system still connected to a different provider and can't be connect by them until it is reverted back to eircom.

What should I do now? How long does it take to revert back to eircom from another provider? What do I do with the reference number that BT gave me? Irish Broadband need the Universal Account Number (UAN) to submit my application, which I tried to get off eircom with no avail.

Any help people can give would be greatly appreciated. I must admit thought that each providers customer suppost staff have been very friendly and as helpful as they possibly can be.

Thanks,
AM

this is a common problem - BT do have your UAN (Universal Account Number) and under comreg rules they must give it to you. The reference number you have might just be an internal BT trouble ticket number which is useless to anybody outside BT. They may drag out giving you your UAN in the hope you stay with them but once you threaten them with Comreg they usually hand it over.

Once you have this, it should be easy to switch provider.

Having said that, if your line is completely dead, it will have to be reactivated by Eircom. You will then be given a new Eircom ACcount Number which you can port over to Irish Broadband etc

Please also remember that Irish Broadband are not a voice operator so you will be billed by Eircom for both your line rental and your calls.

In my opinion you should stick to BT, good company (normally) and very competetive packages.

Feel free to check out all your options on out independent site [broken link removed]

Its only broadband i'm after and the reason why I am not staying with BT is that they are looking for €125 deposit which is refundable after a year. I don't know how long I will be in the house so there is no point in paying the deposit.

Thanks again for your advice

Have you checked out the wireless broadband options available to you? If you don`t require a landline for voice calls, you should investigate these providers. Examples include Clearwire and Digiweb.
Coverage will depend on where you live.

Back