Difference in Uk v Ireland price

thedaras

While this is also a consumer issue,I think it is also a letting off steam issue.
While looking to buy dog food online, here is what I found.
To order from Irish website,from Ireland to an Irish address:

Free delivery.
Was €111.60
Now €101.60

Subtotal: €101.60
Coupon
Only one coupon can be accepted with each order.(First time purchases)

Coupon

-€10.16

Grand Total:
All prices include tax.

€91.44.

And on the same site except it was .co.uk

- Economy Pack: 2 x 13 kg £74.99 1 £74.99
Free Shipping
Prices incl. VAT Grand Total:
£74.99

85.73 Euro is the conversion from Sterling.

On the Irish website there is a 10% discount offer,plus on the Irish site the dog food was on special offer,so it would have been more expensive.

Doesn't seem right does it? And it wouldn't exactly make you want to purchase from the Irish site when you can get it cheaper from the uk!
Such a pity...

Costs are higher here and there are smaller economies of scale. Thsi will be reflected in the price. Even if wages were the same prices would still be higher here as thsi is a smaller market.

Costs are higher here and there are smaller economies of scale. Thsi will be reflected in the price. Even if wages were the same prices would still be higher here as thsi is a smaller market.

Its the same company, just using a .co.uk and .ie for the different markets. Same stock I would imagine. I also would say that there are no staff here or no premises either so the higher costs issue doesnt count, and either do the economies of scale.

Its the same company, just using a .co.uk and .ie for the different markets. Same stock I would imagine. I also would say that there are no staff here or no premises either so the higher costs issue doesnt count, and either do the economies of scale.
If the stock is in the UK it may explain it.

I thought pet food was not VAT exempt and given the different VAT rates, that might explain some of it. Also I presume they've built in a hedge for currency movement

uk vat 20%, here 21%!!

but its no surprise, a vga cable in an irish town = 20euro,, on ebay, 5 euro including delivery, no contest. Its a shame amazon does not delievr a lot of stuff to ireland that is way cheapr than here.

noah

Prices are determined by how much people will pay.
It's that simple.

Companies want to maximise their profits.

The solution here, when comparing the same product, is to buy the cheapest option. Consider how reputable the seller is too.
I buy most stuff off the internet and I'm not too bothered where the company is actually located.

I recently ordered and got a book delivered from amazon.co.uk as a gift to someone in Ireland. It actually worked out about €7 cheaper that way rather than buying from Easons with delivery or posting it myself.

Back