Diesel V Petrol cars trade in

volcano

We were asking a maindealer today how much to change our petrol car to a diesel because it was a difference 1500 euro in January 2008. However he said in the last two weeks the price of diesel cars has gone up, instead of paying about 4,500 to change to diesel it would be 8,500 for a 2009 model approx. This was a skoda dealer, he said diesels would become more expensive and petrol cars cheaper to compete with the lower road tax/CO2 emissions, petrol cars are harder to sell. How much mileage do you need to do to make this pay? Is this true for all dealers? Is it the same all over Europe?

You will need to do 20k per yearfor a diesel to pay and pref not around town driving. I sold my wifes Cmax diesel, around town and to and from school 28mpg, on a run on motorway 45 to 50.

I have a pertol cmax and am getting 30ish around town and to school and 40 to 45 on a run.

Comparing them with a roof box on the diesel when we went to France averaged 5mpg more. We only do c 8 to 10k per year.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

Diesels are more expensive mainly because of the expensive emission control technology, If buying a new car then it makes sense to buy a diesel because of the lower co2 emissions and road tax. But really they are designed for high mileage and as CharlieR pointed out that you would have to do 20k miles a year+ for to make your money back, But in fact you would probably have to do close to 100k miles a year if you take into account the extra price of buying a Diesel and the fact Diesel is still a tiny bit more expensive and the difference between the fuel consumption. You can look at it like this would you rather buy a new car and spend more or less on fuel? If it's less then get the diesel but be warned that the new diesel's may have particle filters and do NOT like to be driven short distances as this can cause many headaches for you and money at the main stealer! Again as I've always said to buy a two year old diesel with 20k miles on the clock is where the real savings are, You will get good mpg + the car will have cost you much less than if you bought it new! Another point to add is the fact that the vrt on petrol cars has gone up by quiet a lot unless you want to drive a 1.0l or 1.2l which is fine if all you do is short trips. I can see in the future if we haven't been converted to some other form of fuel a system where you will be charged by km and that is possible by the use of satellite technology. As the new vrt system is good in a way but the fact that people will be buying 2.0l diesels and driving them around towns and cities makes no sense at all. And I think co2 emissions advertised by car manufactures is a scam as co2 emissions is related to the amount of fuel you burn so if you drive faster you burn more if you drive around the city all day you will burn more etc, so it makes sense that the co2 emissions would be much higher also. Oh and by the way you will loose a fortune on buying a new petrol car especially now with the new vrt and tax system!

Agree with everything MadLad says but for those who clock up maybe 10k to 15k miles a year, which is the better option in view of the fact, as you say, petrol cars are depreciating at the rate of knots? It is a difficult balancing act.

Back