Diesel ran empty

racso

I let my car run out of fuel today and got a canister and put enough in to get me to the garage to fill it up....then drove for approx and hour and no probs (engine management light came on but presume this is due to running out of fuel) now somebody is telling me that your meant to bleed the whole engine if you do run out before filling it up again on a diesel? Is this total rubbish?

I wouldn't have thought so, have been silly enough to do this myself twice.

Over estimating the reserve.

Filled up got going no problems touch wood.

The engine light could be something like a warning around when you were turning over trying to pick u fuel again.

I put petrol in a diesel car and drive for about 2 KM when I realised what I had done. It had to go back to the garage and as far as I recall it was a big job. Luckily it was a company car. But I can't see how there would be a problem with just running out of fuel. Same as a lawnmower, it just stops when you run out of fuel and you just put some more in.

If you let it run that low, you'll drag all sorts of shis from the bottom of the tank into the engine and then the engine is to try and burnt that off.

The light prob wont go off itself, you could try and dis-connect the battery and leave it for a while and then re-connect it but your car might need radio codes etc.

If that doesnt work bring it to a gargage and they will knock it out, you could also have two much air in the system as you ran out and this affected the lambda probe reading (same light on most cars).

Petrol Lawnmowers are hardly the same as a diesel car/jeep engine.

Hi sorry did not get to reply over the weekend just continued to drive it and no probs whatsoever and the light went out by itself. I fully agree with the engine having to deal with a load of dirt when fuel low and would not normally let this happen and defo wont again!!!

Thx for all the replys