diesel patriculate filters, noisy?

pcocp

A family member purchased a new diesel car approx. 1 month ago, it's 1.5 litre.
It is I believe fitted with a diesel particulate filter, which are now standard on diesel engines re emissions etc, I think.
In the mornings, after starting from cold, and after less than 5 minutes, a loud regular tapping noise can quite clearly be heard inside the car when driving.
This lasts for anything up to half an hour, then stops.
If the engine is stopped, allowed to cool somewhat and restarted then this noise re-appears for another 20 - 30 mins.

It was brought back to the main dealer, where the owner was told by the service manager that this was normal noise from the diesel particulate filter, and nothing was wrong.

Having driven it myself, it is quite loud and in my opinion completly unacceptable for a new car, and I have not heard anything like it in any other diesel car, and I've driven a few at this stage.

The garage have just dismissed the owners concerns completly, so is the owner in a position to do anything about this?
When test driving the exact same type of car prior to buying, no such noise was present at all.
Should it be independently assessed maybe?
should deisel particulate filters be heard at all, especially when driving?

Thanks,
PCOCP.

Last edited:
Yes it is, and I get the feeling you're going to tell me they are known for problems like this.....?

I wouldn't touch a renault myself again after nightmare experiences in the past with a diesel laguna, but that's just me.

I have a diesel with DPF, never hear anything from it!

Must be those Renault's!

Back