Diesel now more expensive than petrol - why?

Ceist Beag

I'm curious as to how diesel is now more expensive than petrol when traditionally it has been around 10% (or more) cheaper than petrol. Is there a valid reason for this or could it be because diesel cars are suddenly much more popular? I'm speaking as someone who doesn't really understand the technicalities of how oil converts to petrol/diesel so is there anyone with better knowledge of this who might be able to explain how the rising cost of oil has a bigger impact on diesel prices or will the cynic in me be closer to the truth in that more SUVs on the road are contributing to this?

Its the garages profiteering because more people are switching to Diesel cars.
Prices do seem to have converged a little bit, but I notice that my local Tesco 's Diesel is always cheaper than unleaded petrol.

In general, if I see a garage charging more for diesel than unleaded, I will avoid it.

Tesco is now doing exactly that - Diesel 1.16 in Tesco Finglas over wkend and petrol was 1.15. Both had been the same price for previous few weeks.

Tesco is now doing exactly that - Diesel 1.16 in Tesco Finglas over wkend and petrol was 1.15. Both had been the same price for previous few weeks.

And to rub things in further, is it true that the excise duty? tax rate? on diesel is less that on petrol, if so the garages are are trousering even more of your money

And to rub things in further, is it true that the excise duty? tax rate? on diesel is less that on petrol, if so the garages are are trousering even more of your money
diesel are made from the same product, crude oil. diesel and petrol are the same thing, the only difference is that petrol is refined more than diesel and therefore should be more expensive

I remember reading that demand for home heating oil in the North American/European winter season drove up the price of diesel/gas oil relative to pertoleum. And that this effect was reversed in the summer months.

interesting. tesco in arklow , diesel was 1 cent per litre cheaper than petrol last time I filled up.

A few years ago charlie Mcgreedy put ectra duty on diesel and not on petrol. There is different duty on the 2 fuels.

Not just the oil companies profiteering the government are well ahead of the game here.

If its of any interest on the 7/2/2008

Sundrive Service Station
Petrol euro1.11.9 a litre (Would they not just round it up and charge 1.12!
Diesel euro1.15.9 a litre

50 yards up the road
Discount Service station
Both Petrol and Diesel euro 1.11.9

Bandon this morning:
Petrol - 1.37.9
Dielsel - 1.41.9

Looks like I'm going to have to find my bike in the garden shed...

Would it be fair to say that part of it is demand and the other Muppets in the stock exchange over pricing oil out of fear? Probably a lot of reasons. All I know is that oil will get a lot more expensive before it gets cheaper. It's getting more expensive week by week. That's why we need to cut back on the amount of wasted journeys we do. Hop on the bus, take the bike to the local shop. Stop going to these shopping centres every week so unnecessarily just to browse around for lack of something better to do. We all do it! Drive the lowest consuming diesel car will also help. If we all did this all over the world, Oil would be a lot cheaper. + we WILL see tax increases on fuel as part of carbon tax and Ireland's failure to meet the kyoto protocol.

Petrol Tesco Arklow 125.9
Diesel Tesco Arklow 132.9

Note how the price of diesel is increasing disproportionately for Diesel.

Time to order a rip-off Diesel T-Shirt and where it in Tesco everytime I fill up.
They're still the cheapest around.

Time to order a rip-off Diesel T-Shirt and where it in Tesco everytime I fill up.
They're still the cheapest around.

There's a reason for that. HINT: It's not because they are nicer people!

For example, what is the reason that Tesco sausages are cheaper than say, Shaw's sausages. It is because they are of an inferior quality!

For example, what is the reason that Tesco sausages are cheaper than say, Shaw's sausages. It is because they are of an inferior quality!

Its also different product. Its not unknown for a more expensive product to be resold/marketed as a cheaper product, as it will sell in great volume.

May be time to consider the bio diesel option. Then again the government will seize their opportunity and increase the duty and the manufacturers will increase in line with ordinary diesel.

Ireland does not have the land required to produce sufficent amounts of biodiesel. And farmers would moan like they usually do poor things. And demand more money so we will be back to square 1. look at the price of E85 and you will burn it faster making it cost as much as petrol. Biodiesel is not suppose to be far off regular diesel as far as mpg goes. But it's the land required I don't think it's possible??? where as e85 is produced mostly from waste from making dairy products. And then the energy required to make it. Green diesel it is then lol only problem is how would you get it without getting noticed and is it much different from regular diesel? apart from colour of course. modern diesels don't like bad quality fuel!

As far as diesel goes, I'm saving a minimum of 5c per litre by filling up there.
I don't think the diesel is inferior by this amount.

Also, remember its not just about quality. Its about economies of scale as well as purchasing muscle. Tesco also use their own drivers. Also, petrol is cheaper in tesco Arklow than Tesco Dundrum. I also assume that the overheads are bigger in Dundrum. Also, at least one garage in arklow is matching Tesco's prices so that helps as well.