Diesel Mondeo or Avensis from the UK - Need help

S

subprimed

First post but long time fan of this site!

My dad urgently needs to change car as the old one has finally gone to car heaven! I have suggested going to the uk to source the replacement.

Requirements:

• Diesel 1.9/2.0 (to keep tax down as it will be pre 08)
  • Needs to be very very reliable, good fuel economy, cheap for parts (basically low maintenance!)
  • Good for towing trailers etc. This is essential really due to farm work but a 4x4 may be overkill!
  • Driving will be a combo of poor country roads and to lesser extent motor way etc - very little city driving
  • over 20,000 miles per year
Have narrowed down to mondeo 2004/2005/2006 or Avensis 2003 to 2006 range. Both two litre diesel engines.
Considered octavia but dont like it and not as good a bargain from the uk imo. Accord 2.2 is too large of engine.

Imo they seem so much cheaper over in the uk based on autotrader.co.uk. Inc vrt I can see a saving of at least 5 grand with a much better spec.

Mondeo zetec being considered:
http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=&hassearched=Y&make=&min_pr=2000&source=2&model=&max_pr=&miles=&agerange=2&mileage=6&postcode=se10+8ex&variant=&bodyid=2&trim=&fuelid=2&colour=&transmissionid=1&keywords=zetec&ukcarsearch_full.x=31&ukcarsearch_full.y=5&start=7&distance=48&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200835317626565

Avensis being considered:
http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=TOYOTA&min_pr=2000&source=2&model=AVENSIS&max_pr=&miles=40&agerange=2&mileage=6&postcode=se10+8ex&variant=&bodyid=1&trim=&fuelid=2&colour=&transmissionid=1&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=72&ukcarsearch_full.y=10&start=4&distance=27&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200835317391428

What is the better purchase based on the above requirements? Badge is not important so the rep image is ok

The zetec is the best mondeo based on previous posts- is the titanium etc a better purchase?
what about the t-spirt avensis should we be looking at a better spec?
And again does it make sense to go to the uk to get one of these?

Thanks

Re: Diesel Mondeo or Avensis from the UK - Need help urgently

forgot to add that the budget is about 10,000 euro inc vrt but could go a bit higher. vrt on the above cars seems to be about 3500.

Re: Diesel Mondeo or Avensis from the UK - Need help urgently

Mondeo will be more common, and is a better car in every important area.

A 130bhp 2.0 Zetec is nice.

Thanks for the reply RS2K. Do you think its worth going to the uk to get a mondeo?
when you say "better car in every important area" is that stuff like the driving experience etc or reliability?

From what i know diesel Mondeos are not reliable,however the petrol versions are!

From what i know diesel Mondeos are not reliable,however the petrol versions are!

TDCI diesels are very reliable.

p.s. To OP - yes I think you'll save a lot of cash by importing. However do check locally for prices as used car sales are very slow in the trade. If you are importing run a HPI check before you purchase, and check it over thoroughly.

Back