Diesel Cars - A false economy?

Dundhoone

Last year I did 30k miles, between work commute, work and everything else.
I drive a 1.4 l petrol golf which does about 44 miles to the gallon, or about 6.4l/100km

Everyone I talk to tells me I should buy a diesel engine.
Should I?

I love my golf, and don’t feel the need to change the brand or model.
So say I just go for the same car, trim but with a diesel engine.

On the plus side, I save on fuel.

48,000km /yr on my 1.4l will be 3072litres of fuel or at 1.05c/l that will cost €3225
on the 1.9l diesel it would be 2400litres or at 1.05c/l cost €2520

A saving of €705/yr.

On the downside,
My insurance will increase by €300/yr
And motor tax increases from €292 to €511, an increase of €219/yr

The car costs in the region of €29,000 as opposed to €23,000 for the 1.4 l.

So now im down €519 + say 6k/3years = €2,500/yr.

Do diesels need servicing on a more regular basis??

Am I missing something – do diesels hold their residual valve at higher mileage than petrol cars??

Or is this just something that used to be relevant when there was a price difference between petrol and diesel, and is so bet into us that we still hang onto something that no longer true?????

Your comments please!!!!

Interested in the answer aswell.

However if you were going to change, you should bear in mind the new golf gt. 1.4 litre engine.......so low insurance ,tax,vrt........but has a turbo and a supercharger to give it 2.3 litre performance at 1.4 economy.

and its quieter than a diesel.

Would like to see the answer too-
But there are 1.4litre diesels available which would leave tax/insurance the same but have no idea on their performance.I also think in general yes diesels need more servicing

My Diesel needs servicing (oil+filter) every 5-6K I do it myself as it's very handy and only costs about 26 Euro

Diesel cars are worth more with higher milage when traded in to a garage or even sold privatly. Service intervals are the same. Service costs usually only differ by the price of a fuel filter and even that interval has been pushed out. More and more cars are comming out with small engines in dsl so if you didn't mind changing cars you would be alright.

To update, I did a bit of research on residuals. The following are averages from prices on car buyers guide, so obviously trade in values would be a bit lower. This is fairly approximate, from maybe 4 cars in each group with varying mileage, but it gives an idea. 2006 TDi 5dr comfortline - at approx 25000 2005 TDi 5dr comfortline - at approx 23500 2004 TDi 5dr comfortline - at approx 18500 So with a retail of 28500, it will have lost approx 10,000 over three years. Its pretty much the same as what im being offered for my 3 year old 1.4 petrol, 23k original price and now worth 14-15k. So is the argument that diesels hold their value valid??? no from those prices.

Not really a fair comparison a 75bhp 1.4 engine v's a min 90bhp 1.9 engine (there are 3 versions 90bhp, 110 & 130 AFAIK).

Compare like with like. Say a 1.6 FSI with the 110bhp golf...

Plus these days diesel engines are getting more power output from smaller engines - look at the peugeot & ford focus as mentioned before.

I agree, that a comparision between the strait 1.6 golf (102bhp) and the 1.9 diesel (105bhp) would be a little closer. But not by a huge amount - im comparing an 80bhp car to a 90bhp car above.

The diffence would only be a few hundred euro imo.

While I agree that people pulling trailers or carrying loads need the torque that diesel provides, I think that people buying diesel cars are being sold a dummy.

No-one has put any figures up here to disagree with me yet.

in reading above,am I then mad to consider, (very strongly),
buying a new Octavia diesel 1.9 on 10/12k miles ayr??
ye're putting doubts in the mind.
F

I posted this thread on boards.ie motor section also.

I've had a fairly convincing counter arguement.

Basically, if I am buying into a more expensive car, and if the depreciatin is roughly similar for a petrol or diesel, then things work out reasonably similar/slightly more cost benefical for diesel......over high mileage.

there is also the very valid point that the tdi is going to be nicer to drive, having more torque in lower gears.

Fredg, you are going to have to do your sums!!!

From a driveablility point of view it looks like diesel is overtaking petrol - fiat's & psa's common rail engines are really good.

Who know what the gov is going to do with road tax, vrt & bio fuel in the next few years. These are the factors that could make owning a diesel the way to go...

Dundhonne,
go on tell me if you think im mad,i wont be offended!
its just that i love the car having test driven it,and
bros of mine tell me that i should def go for diesel.
also im the type to keep a car for a long period.
current car i've had for 7 yrs.
F.

Fredg If you have your heart set on it, go for it. No point in buying something just cause it makes sense all the time, you might as well enjoy it too!! Anyway, if you will be keeping it for 7-8 years, at 10-12k miles a year, it may well be easier to sell on if its a diesel. You could be mad.....but theres no harm in a bit of madness, every 7 or 8 years!!!

Back