did anyone travel in the northern territory in oz?

noilh

This is just a shot in the dark to anyone who may have travelled in the Northern Territory in the general area of Alice Springs in Australia. Would you have seen or met a German man who traverses the area with two camels and a small wagon and also a dog riding along. I met him and chatted for a while and he gave his email address as we drove off, but I think I got it wrong. Would anyone have any more information. This is not as long a shot as you might think, as the area is thinly populated and he wold be immediately noticeable to anyone driving by on the highways. It's sheer curiosity about his lifestyle that motivates me.

Have you been smokin' a bit of dubby recently ?

No i don't smoke at all, and maybe you could tell me what "dubby" is and why you think I might be smoking it - do you find it enjoyable yourself?

Yeah the area is thinly populated but jeeze it's the size of a large country this part of world.
Where abouts was he?
Was it West McDonnells or East McDonells direction, North or South?
What type of dog had he with him?
Ok I am curious.

Only crazy stuff I saw were Aborigins belting along the unsealed roads with old cars. The tourist guidebooks all tell you, you need 4x4 for this, that and the other and then your passed by 10 Aborigins in an old Nissan Sunny or Toyota Corolla going like the clappers over corrugated sandy road.

Here did you come across the Aborigins whose van has broken
down and they need a tow to Alice?
When they get there they then load up with supplies and look for a tow back home.
Now two funny things about this are :
1. the distance from home to Alice is probably about 140km
and
2. the van does not have an engine.

He was travelling on Luritja Road which is off the Ernest Giles Road which is in turn off the Stuart Highway. I know NT is a huge area but most of the tourists who go there go to that area would travel the Stuart Highway and surrounds. No I didn't fall for the old running out of petrol trick, been around too many blocks for that

Yeah know it, we did Mereenie loop, Larapinta Drive and then went down entire length of Luritja Road from Kings Canyon to Uluru.
Did few klicks of Ernest Giles to see what it was like and then doubled back since going to Uluru.
Nope did not see any guys with camels.
Did see good few camels, including few dead ones on road.
How the hell does he live out there, water must be problem?
The flies must drive him nuts during summer.

He can carry quite a large drum of water in the little cart, and can sometimes ask for water from tour buses. They guy seemed so at peace with the surroundings, that's what fascinates me.