Did Anyone See The Breeders Cup? (Horse Race) Absolutely Amazing!

Lex Foutish

Did any of you see it? I have no interest in horses but the race was on live from the USA tonight in the pub and it was truly remarkable. The second favourite was a horse called Zenyatta. She had a very poor start and was still in last position with about half a mile to go.

And this is what happened.... The jockey is in light green........... You'll probably never see a race like this again. As the commentator says, "This is un-be-liev-able!!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5IGp8w0xaM

http://www.huliq.com/3257/88564/history-made-zenyatta-breeders-cup-2009

Drug test that horse !!

And perhaps the commentator too. Must have had a bob or two on it.

I wish I'd had a few bob on her. I wouldn't know a horse's head from his/her backside. I didn't even know the race was on till I saw it on the telly. 5/2 I think.

Considering she is the first female horse to win that race is an achievement in itself. Then you have to look at the start as she wouldn't take to the stall. Also, when she did all the horses were taken out again due to a non-starter. Any mare would hate to be put in a second time with colts but she stayed relatively calmed. Poor Rip van Winkle came nowhere.

5/2 seemed a short price for a mare in a big race like that. But then I hadn't seen much of her in her other wins. She has now won 14 races in a row. I think about 7 of those were grade 1 races. She had also won the Breeders Cup Ladies' Classic last year. What a horse and a terrific price in hindsight, all things considered.

Her winning is a mix of size and temper. Firstly, she is a monster. Absolutely huge and loves to barge and jostle the male horses. That competitive edge lets her mix it with the colts and at times bully them.

I'd put her on the next flight to Kildare and tell Sea the Stars to have the chocs and roses ready.

PS. It cheered me up no end to watch John McCrirrick tell all of Europe and America to lay Conduit in the Breeders Turf and then in the next breath he told us all to "lay the mare" in the classic. 45 minutes later Conduit had won at evens and Zenyatta romped home at 5/2. Delighted.

Did any of you see it? I have no interest in horses but the race was on live from the USA tonight in the pub and it was truly remarkable.
Some good racing alright. If you liked that you might search YouTube for Deep Impact, which was a very impressive horse and also watch Sea the Stars' six Group 1 wins this year (one per month May through October) . . The most impressive run I've ever seen was by Arazi as a 2 year old in the Breeders Cup Juvenile, see here.