Devices for centralized calendars

car

Im looking for a cheapish mobile device for a group. Any member of the group should be able use the device to update a centralized calendar.
We're currently using mobile phones to txt dates and each of us are updating our own phone calendars but there should be a better solution out there.
Anyone?

What about PDAs (e.g. Palm or Windows Mobile) and Outlook/Exchange synchronisation of group calendars?

the kind of thing youre on about?

Was thinking PDA alright, but was under the impression that there was a LAN required to connect to which would host an outlook calender. Is that right? (not comms orientated Im afraid)

I was hoping for a centralized calendar service only (if such a thing exists) to keep admin at a minimum. thanks anyway.

Yeah - a common setup would be something like an Exchange Server to which the Outlook clients on each person's desktop connects and which can host collaborative information such as shared calendars etc. Give each individual a PDA and they can sync up each time they are at their desk. Outlook may also support some collaborative features without an Exchange Server but I can't remember. However maybe you're thinking more of a web based system that centralises such information or something like that? I'm sure they exist but don't know of any specific suggestions offhand. Do a search for terms like "online", "collaborative", "workgroup", "calendar", "PIM" (Personal Information Manager) etc. to see what comes up.

In general Palm based PDA devices are cheaper than Windows Mobile/Pocket PC versions. You would really want to figure out your requirements in this area a bit more clearly rather than rushing to a decision and hacking some half baked solution together which might or might not work though.

The web based solution would be ideal. Preferably any of the leading mobile service providors ideally to keep it as familiarised as possible to link with existing accounts the group already has with those providors via mobile phones. Im only familiar with vodafones offerings myself but didnt see anything after a brief glance on their website, but wont give up on them just yet as their web offering is frustratingly poor.

getting close.
Is it possible to get web access over a PDA? We have one master diary holder and of the 13 of us in the group, and unfortunately he's the only one without regular web access. If we got him a PDA, we could set up a calendar in say yahoo (Im sure google has one on the way) and we all use the one account.
Or even this..
Not exactly what I wanted but if nothing else it should do.

car said:
Is it possible to get web access over a PDA?
For "live" access you will need an internet connection of some sort - e.g. 802.11 WiFi to a hotspot/access point connected to broadband, 3G or some wired form etc. While PDAs and phones/communications devices have been converging in recent years many PDAs are still designed for disconnected use with synchronisation done when at the desktop. For example, offline browsing or "web clipping", where certain web pages are downloaded for offline access, is common (e.g. [broken link removed]). For live access to the internet from a PDA (either directly via 3G or the like or indirectly via 802.11 WiFi access to a hotspot) you would most likely be looking at one of the high end/expensive PDA offerings at which point the price differential to a low end laptop which would be more flexible but bulkier might start narrowing. As I say you need to analyse you requirements and potential solutions very carefully.