Development Charges on New Build

footsteps

Just wondering how can some county councils enforce the conditiond below when other do not.
We have to pay €5000 but those building approx 1 mile away in a different county don't. Is it legally binding to pay it, does any one know more about it?
We do not mind paying it at all, as we are delighted to have got planning but it seems very unfair. I also have heard of people who say they are not going paying it, and that the council cannot enforce it. I am not one to take chances so would rather have it paid than not!
I did phone the council and it is for somthing like, €1000 roads, €1000 Amenities, €1000 water, € Community & Enterprise . . . .

In planning conditions something like this:
Prior to the commencement of the development, the developer shall pay the sum of €5,000 updated at the time of payment in accordance with changes in the Wholesale Price – Building and Construction (Capital Goods), published by the Central Statistics Office to Roscommon County Council as a contribution towards the expenditure that was incurred or is proposed by the Planning Authority in respect of providing public infrastructure and services.

Payment of this contribution is subject to the provisions of the adopted Development Contribution Scheme.

5000 is very little for development charges.....

yes, it is required to pay it..... legally the house cannot be certified to comply with planning conditions until its paid, however the vast majority of architects / engineers do not pay heed to it.
The council can take lagal action against you if you do not pay, and remember that the contributions are index linked, so 5000 this year might be 5500 next year....

in county longford it is 2,900 euros. which county doesn't charge anything ?
i believe it is up to 20,000 and more in some counties like Kildare.
there is no way out of paying this and if you do a search this has been discussed a few times before.

€5000 seems cheap to me. I paid €14,500 two years ago and did not have access to sewage or mains water services.

It'll have to be paid if you wish to comply with planning conditions. It is not plesant but at least the money is ringfenced and is not going off to help pay for stadiums in Dublin or Lear jets for politicians.

As far as I know Sligo CO CO don't pay it, just quickly looked at some planning and there is no such condition!
I really don't mind paying it as I have said, I am only too delighted to have got planning, but was being curious about what it is country wide and the attitude to it, and to learn a little bit more about it!
I also live in an area when thankfully there are good roads and amenities so well worth it!

i just did a quick check on sligo co co website and they do charge development contributions...

check file 07/757....
charged €7430 ......

you have to compare like with like.... extensions and other 'lesser' applications wont be charged....

also, should point out that in longford if you dont pay your development fees, then when you come to apply for the mains water supply they will catch the non payers. of course, i dont know how things fare if you decide to have a well ?
also, the other payment is the commencement notice you pay of about 30 euros wont be accepted if you haven't coughed up the fees.
its like a tax really so no getting away with it as far as i know.

Back