Develop side garage into new house

oscarp

Hi,

I own a semi-detached house in dublin, which has a side garage of approx 300sq foot (full lenght of house). I am considering converting the garage into a 2 storey 2 bedroom house, and am looking for some advice before I decide to spend any money researching. I've drawn some rough sketches myself, and hope to get to an architect around over the summer.

Some questions I have:

would the garage foundations be sufficient for a house?
what additional costs will i have to pay to register as a new home (i plan to sell it on)?
what sort of price would I expect to pay for development?
are solar panels worthwhile?
how expensive / much value is an architect / project manager?

i'd need to make some changes to the side of my house, as the bathroom window is overlooking the garage and this will now form part of the dividing wall between houses. what options are there for blocking the window up in a bathroom?

very early stages now so forgive the broad ranging questi9ons, and advice appreciated.

thanks

One thing you may need to consider is your neighbour - his/her house will go from a semi-d to an end of terrace. Now I know they're almost the same thing, but there can be a difference in market value between them. Your neighbour might object to planning permission because of the change in status of his/her home.

Your own house will go from a semi-d to a mid-terrace, which will reduce its value too.

Phew ! thats a lot of questions, I have been through the process so can answer some . You didnt mention that all iimportant planning permission, you could start by visiting your local authority and getting their free advice. Yes you do need an architect , whatever chance you have of getting permission to build will be greatly helped by proper plans and advice, not to mention selling the house on later. Its most unlikely that your garage foundations are sufficient --- here again only an architect/engineer can be definitive.

thanks for your replies, i hadn't thought of the impact to myself/neighbour of becoming a terraced house.
my first step will be to draw up plans and get some quotes, as if its too expensive i won't need to apply for permission. i've no idea at present how much to expect, and it'll increase considerably if the garage has to be demolished and new foundations put in. I assumed i could build up from this (the garage was fitted professionally approx 15 years ago)

thanks for your replies, i hadn't thought of the impact to myself/neighbour of becoming a terraced house.
my first step will be to draw up plans and get some quotes, as if its too expensive i won't need to apply for permission. i've no idea at present how much to expect, and it'll increase considerably if the garage has to be demolished and new foundations put in. I assumed i could build up from this (the garage was fitted professionally approx 15 years ago)

This previous thread might be of interest.

You can reckon on spending €300,000 to €350,000 on building an average 3/4 bedroom house in Dublin. On top of that you'd have to pay local authority levies and connection fees . Good luck!

Back