Desktop PC replacement

tallpaul

Looking for some advice please.

Home desktop PC has gone to the great network in the sky and I am therefore in the market for a new one. I went over to PC World yesterday and found it very poor. I'm not interested in Packard Bell (which seems to make up 80%) of their inventory. Anyone know of other 'bricks n' mortar' shops that sell PC's?? Are Compustore still alive? Any other choices?

I am looking on Dell's site but I want to keep my options open.

from personal experience dell pc's are very good - dunnes are doing pc's at the moment that seem to be good value

Where abouts are you based? If you're anywhere around Dublin city centre, you could have a look at Peats on Parnell street, or Beyond 2000 on Chatham row.

Seagull said:
Where abouts are you based? If you're anywhere around Dublin city centre, you could have a look at Peats on Parnell street, or Beyond 2000 on Chatham row.

Thanks Seagull!!! Completely forgot about Beyond 2000 (although iirc, they are not the cheapest). Will head down at lunchtime.

Bsloe: will probably look further at Dell.

The annoying thing is that I have a perfectly good monitor, keyboard etc. Its the 'box' that I need.

tallpaul said:
The annoying thing is that I have a perfectly good monitor, keyboard etc. Its the 'box' that I need.

then maybe you should look at www.komplett.ie they sell just the PC.

If you are really brave you could buy one of their self builds. I have a few friends that did this and they saved a fortune.

[broken link removed] also do [broken link removed] (i.e. main system unit only) PCs as do several other vendors.

Just purchased our new desktop from Komplett.ie over the weekend. Other half spent 3 weeks comparing all the various components on other sites including Dell etc. Will have PC in 3-4 days so fingers crossed. If you do order over the net, it might be worthwhile having a friend/relative who nows the internals of the pc to help you pick them out. It can be difficult to know exactly what you should upgrade on and what you don't need etc.

The likes of dabs.co.uk and savastore.com have systems without monitors that start from about €300 including XP Home.
Leo

PC Peripherals in stillorgan are quite good. http://www.pcp.ie

Not the cheapest, and geared for businesses, but they will build you what you want. We bought an office pc from them with RAID hard drives on it a couple of years ago, Dell kept putting me through to the server division, but PCP just specced up a basic PC, and installed the second backup drive onto it, no hassle.

They also reinstalled Windows under guarantee due to someone installing personal software onto it and messing up some of the software needed for work.