Designing a Granny Flat

pjq

We are going to make changes to my parents ( in their 70s) house as aged related problems are beginning to arise .
We plan to put a bedroom and bathroom downstairs remove steps at front and back doors , we will also have the opportunity to change the kitchen .

We are looking for design suggestions so that the bed / bathroom and kitchen are as user friendly as possible ( for the next 20 years).

PJQ

PS found good suggestions here http://www.independentliving.co.uk/

try the National Disability Authority website, they have a good publication called 'Building for Everyone'

[broken link removed]

Thanks ATgirl , they have some good sections for bathrooms and kitchens. I would still be interested in any tips / experiences of other people .
PJQ

You may not need this - but have you looked at the disabled persons grant? if the age problems are signicant your local council will provide substantial funds toward ground floor bathroom etc. Just be warned their ideas and yours of what may look good will not concur!

Thanks EROE ,
We decided to put our efforts into briucks and mortar , have no extra energy or patience to struggle with the state's bureaucracy .
PJQ

you can still avail of the grant to subsidise a tradesman you're paying for.

For bathrooms, a walk in bath - they are much cheaper if you order them from England than the Irish version. I can't remember which company we ordered from, but even with the stg100 pallet delivery charge to Tullamore, the bath worked out eur1000 cheaper than the same model delivered in Ireland. The only problem was the difference in size of the drain fitting, so you may want to talk to a plumber first.

For the toilets, side handles are a good idea, but try and make sure that the toilet is accessible from the side, as this makes, ahem, nursing care easier (so the handles should fold back to the wall).

In the kitchen, I have a friend who is wheelchair bound and he got his stove-top and main worktop fitted to a hydraulic system - basically the whole thing could be lowered down to wheelchair level or used at normal height.

Also a kettle on gimbals (like a sailors one) prevents scalding, but it does mean it has to be filled with a jug as it's locked in place.

In the bedroom, a bed that is is possible to get out of without bending your knees over 90 degrees is a good idea, as thigh power often goes.

Remember, you (or some other able bodied person) may be doing things like meals, stay-overs etc. do try and design things that are usable for both the fit and the decrepit.

Also, if you are thinking of putting one of those emergency call buttons in some of the rooms and you have children - they are irresistible to toddlers! A big red Fr. Dougal don't touch this button moment.

Back