Derelict site next to our house

Jen2020

First post here on this forum and had a quick search to see if there had been similar questions in the past and couldn't find any.

Right next to our house is a small piece of land. In the past planning permission was seeked but declined because it wasn't in keeping with the other houses on the cul de sac. Planning permission, as far as I'm aware will only be granted if the house next to it (us) wanted to extend or rezoned. It is too small to fit a similar house in keeping with the road. This piece of land has been there since the other houses were built 26 years ago and my mother in law, since past, bought this house when it was new. So it's now over grown and an eye sore to the rest of the neighbours. We would like to purchase/obtain the land to extend and I know the immediate neighbours to us would be really happy with that. I have a feeling the other neighbours would not. No one knows that we are looking into this piece of land. So far we have asked the advise of an architect, managed to track down the owner and made sure the piece of land is zoned for residential.

Currently there is construction going on behind all our houses. One of the neighbours has struck a deal with the construction manager to clear the site beside us and she wants to discuss with all the neighbours about making into a wild flower area and all the neighbours chip in for this to be done.
We don't want to disclose we are looking into this piece of land to extend. If all the other 5 houses on the street decided to do this, does it mean we can't purchase it? When a different neighbour mentioned it to me, I said 'surely you need permission of the person who owns the land' and I was bluntly told that because it's been there un touched for more than 16 years, its own by the residents of the road?

Does anyone have insight on if this is true? We don't want to invest time and money into land that is beside our house if they other residents decide to dig it up and plant flowers +/- a path through it and then be met with objections if we buy it with the intention of extending.

Not an expert, but I don't think your neighbours have any claim on that land.
There is "Adverse Posession", but they would have had to be possessing and taking care of the land, not just claim any abandoned patch.

Is there any chance of seeking planning permission before purchasing the land? Don't know if this is possible.
And then agree with the owner to go ahead only if planning permission is granted?

Thanks for the response. My late mother in law use to maintain around it. She planted flower beds and made a gate and had boulders put down to reduce the risk of anyone using it as she felt vulnerable being right beside this open land in her later years. All done without the support of her neighbours and at her own cost and no objection was ever made from the landowner.
The only people this land impacts is us as we live beside it and we are the last house on the road. A couple of neighbours don’t like the look that it is essentially an over grown meadow. We are unsure of why they now want this done when my late mother in law tried to have something done with the land, with their co operation for 20+ years. The only thing I can think of and my direct next door neighbours can think of is that we live here now and with a big family they have a sense that we would want to extend and to do that we would purchase the land.
I’m just trying to find out what can and cannot be done without being bullied into a situation because others tell us that is what’s right or that is the law etc. Thankfully it is just a few houses, the others on the Cul de sac are as in the dark/confused as we are as why this suddenly wants to be done.

, having objectors or objections to a development does NOT mean planning will be denied, particlarly if as you say the new development is proposed as being in sympathy with the street-scape of the existing dwellings and brings a derelict site into family use. It could be very different if anyone proposed a commercial development in a residential cul-de-sac (extra traffic, parking problems, out of hours disruption, etc). I'd say continue negotiations with the owner and have before and after images produced, that plus the long-term single family occupancy, off-street parking spaces (?) could be key selling points for the council planners.

Back