Deposit on hotel meeting?

mct1

I'm organising a professional meeting for the end of March 2009 - 40 delegates + small trade exhibition + lunch, teas, the usual. I'm hoping this will be an annual event, so I want things to go smoothly. Also, until the bookings come in, I'll be financing it out of my own pocket. Eventually I hope to have a small profit to put towards the following year's event. The hotel I chose isn't the cheapest but I liked the venue and I was on the point of booking, having initially been told that a credit card number was all that was needed as guarantee, when a request for a non-refundable deposit of 500 Euro suddently appeared. The meeting rooms and catering only come to around 2000 Euro, so the deposit seems excessive to me this far in advance. I'm now wondering if there's anything else I haven't been told!

Does the deposit sound reasonable or should I argue or look elsewhere? I'd appreciate your views. Thanks.

First ring around a few equivalent venues and establish what they require by way of booking deposit in a letter.

Armed with this information call the original venue and ask for an appointment to meet with the banqueting and events manager. Explain your case, first on many such events, most attractive location, discrepancies in booking requirements, etc. and see what you are offered. In the current climate you might be surprised what you can negotiate.

It's not unreasonable for them to seek some kind of non-refundable deposit. You might get it reduced with a bit of haggling, but I don't think they'll be prepared to bear your risk.

A 25% deposit in my experience is over the top. I have organised a number of presentations (1day) and training weekends/weeks. Often no deposit required however a fee if cancellation within a certain period (length of time and amount vary).
For an event costing 2000 I would not expect to be asked for a deposit of more than200 non refundable, and a charge of 500 if cancelled less than 28 days before the event.
I dont know where you are in Ireland but I advise making a questionaire with all your requirements including dates and then emailing to all the venues in your area which may come into question. Look at their websites to see sizes of rooms etc, and decide yourself which size you need. I was offered 1,200sqft for presentation for 12 people. Way too big.

Back