Deposit for connecting Gas & ESB

carrieann

Bought a new house and had to call GAS comp and ESB to change the bill to our names out of the builders name. Ive been told we have to pay 400e to GAS and ESB 300e. Is this a new thing, Ive never heard of it before, if we dont pay the money then they want us to set up a direct debt? After 14 months we would get the money back, I dont really want to set up a direct debt to be honest?But I dont want to have to chase the companies for the money back in 14 months,any suggestions or experience with this

I've come across it with the houses I manage, tenants have to pay a deposit. I *think* new account holders are asked now as well, even owners but not entirely sure of that. Did you have accounts with these companies in your previous house?

When I applied for my first ESB account about four years ago they asked for a €150 deposit. I refused to pay on principle, every bill I got after that was marked "overdue" as they considered this money owed and so I'd also get reminders as well within a week of the bill landing. ( I paid each bill less the deposit). In the end I got so hacked off with the "your credit rating with us is severely affected" I paid up. Wasn't offered a DD option then, I'd have probably taken that.

Bord Gais seem to have a new policy every time I contact them, was told when I connected with them in Feb I would have to pay €200 deposit despite being an owner occupier and paying by direct debit.

They didnt take any deposit with my first 2 bills then took it in August despite stating on their website that from July 2008 they no longer take a deposit from owner occupiers. I complained and got no where because I was told I signed up in Feb when the policy was still in place, very very annoying. They couldnt even tell me when the deposit was refundable - I was told and I quote "maybe after 5 years"

With ESB I didnt have to pay a deposit to if I set up a direct debit, with no direct debit was told €200 deposit refundable after 12 months.

We're paid the deposit for the ESB, but have decided to get the prepay metre for the Gas, that way we dont have a bill, but just top it up, this is costing 175 once off payment so its not to bad.