Denim staining leather couch

Phibbleberry

Hi Guys,

Just a quick one...got a white leather couch recently (much to the dismay of anyone with kids etc...but its just the two of us, thought we'd be ok!).
While I fully accept if we spill tea/coke/wine etc...on it it will stain, and will from general use, become slightly grubby but, himself recently sat on it in a pair of (well worn, well washed) denim jeans and now theres a big blue stain...:eek:
Anyone know of a good leather cleaner? I have been reluctant to try anything yet, until I've had a chance to get down to the shop where I bought it -you guys seem to be quite good with homemade quick-fixes so thought i'd give it a shot here in the meantime!

Thanks,
PB
:(

Had the same problem and have used some diluted CIF/GIF and it took the stain away. No apparent after effects on the leather..looks good as new...

Seemingly the print off newspapers makes the white leather also

Warning: I'm sure manufacturers wouldn't recommend that you use a product like CIF. All I'm saying is that I took the risk and it seems fine! I used a damp cloth and some diluted CIF about a year ago over a stain left by jeans and the stain came off and the leather looks fine. Also used it for a biro mark too and it did the trick.

No probs, will do a test run on the back of the couch! Incidentally - was yours white/cream i.e should I expect similar results? One last thing...was the CIF you used white/yellow/green etc..?
Thanks guys...

Mine is more white than cream and I used the white one...mixed with water on a damp cloth..Good luck!

I've never tried Cif but was watching Kim and Aggie ages ago and they recommended Saddle soap for cleaning leather.We have a cream suite and I got some with conditioner added and it works a treat for cleaning all stains.

Hi Red2 - so, saddle soap with conditioner? Is it in liquid or bar form and where would you get that? Sorry for all the questions..!

I got it in a shop that sells all the stuff for horses.Mine is a solid in a tub but you can also get it in liquid.The solid stuff lasts for ages and cost about 10euro

Try shops that sell "horsey" gear (saddliery shops ?) and look for the tubs or tins of solid saddle soap that contain lanolin (from sheeps' wool ?) as a conditioner; great for shoes, leather jackets, belts, bags, car upholstery, etc. Apply with a damp sponge or damp soft cloth, wipe off excess.

Do a test on hidden piece of light coloured leather as it can darken some colours. Its a yellowy colour in the tin.

Back