Demolition and Site Clearance of Farm Outbuildings

Jac1523

Hello there,

Does anybody know the estimated costs of demolishing and clearing outbuildings (aprox 8 units) from a dairy farm? they are over a 0,75 acres site in very bad conditions so we just wanted to know an estimated cost before giving an offer for the site, unfortunately, I cannot travel to meet any person in the site for a quote, but don't have any idea about the average costs of these kinds of jobs.

Many thanks for your help :)

A few days wages too a few teenagers on summer holidays might work out nicely for both sides.
€100-€120 per person per day.
The skip hire might be more expensive.

A few days wages too a few teenagers on summer holidays might work out nicely for both sides.
€100-€120 per person per day.
I think you are being very naive, dairy farms usually have underground reinforced mass concrete tanks and walls, there could be a huge amount of rubble to clear. I think all concrete rubble must be broken down to very small pieces for recycling and steel reinforcing bars seperated out. In other words heavy concrete breakers and excavators. As for teenagers unless they are properly trained and experienced, no way. there are enough accidents on farms as it is

Or the buildings are very old and built in stone, so very thick heavy walls, and probably earthen floors. You are probably talking a weeks work with JCB, lorries to remove stone and slate. And I would agree a lot of concrete with possible reinforced bars in the milking parlour.

Why not ask for a quote?

Thank you for your reply folks. Yes, I've contacted a few companies and shared pictures of the job but they all said they only give quotations after seeing it in person... and I'm not there to meet them. There are many old buildings and accumulated waste so it doesn't look that easy for a DIY... Thanks anyway :)

but they all said they only give quotations after seeing it in person... and I'm not there to meet them.

Do you need to be physically there when they are? Is the site locked down ? If so, can it be opened so that they can view it, maybe by the EA? The quotation(s) can be given over the phone / in writing after they have viewed the site.

Hello there,

Does anybody know the estimated costs of demolishing and clearing outbuildings (aprox 8 units) from a dairy farm? they are over a 0,75 acres site in very bad conditions so we just wanted to know an estimated cost before giving an offer for the site, unfortunately, I cannot travel to meet any person in the site for a quote, but don't have any idea about the average costs of these kinds of jobs.

Many thanks for your help :)

I bought a site in 2011. There was a 2000 sq ft bungalow to wall plate. A derelict cottage of about 1000sq ft. Six individual horse stables. Two sheds of about 700sq ft each. Lean to barn. In 2016 I hired in a chap on a 13ton machine and hired a six ton dumper myself. Doing most of the work myself separating materials. That is metals to scrap yard. Timber given away or burnt. Stone and block broken and crushed for filling around new build and skip hire. About 10k. That was with a lot of hard graft.
There are a small number of outfits who will demolish for you and provide mini crusher on site to crush stone and concrete to use at later stage.
If you cannot even find the time to visit the site stay away from it. Any self build is very stressful and time consuming to say the least.

Back